Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being as you guys haven't seen the birds I thought I'd share a few pictures. I don't have that many, but I can share a few :lol: There are too many birds there for me to get individual shots of, but next time I go up I'll take some individually :thumbsup:

First three pictures: Bruno - Little owl
4th: Ellie - Bald eagle
5th: Cash - Turkmenian eagle owl
6th: Three snowy owl chicks
7th: Pickles (bateleur) and George (African white-backed vulture)
8th: Dave - bateleur
9th: Pickles - bateleur

Attachments

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
can i have the little owl and the vulture???? lol just kidding. i love birds of prey!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they're gorgeous aren't they haha XD

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
they sure are. i have a special love for vultures. not many people give them much respect lol

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me too! Most people would be shocked to find that they are so loving and wonderful to be around. Just cause they eat carrion doesn't make them bad birds. They're so sweet! They just wanna be with their trainers hehe

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
i think theyre just gorgeous birds and if you really sit and watch a turkey vulture fly.... you can truly see the grace and beauty in the way they fly and the way the silver feathers underneith their wings shimmer. and i personally like the red bald head because its cute :) so wrinkly lol if id gotten into falconry, a turkey vulture would be my dream bird, but logically a kestrel would likely suit me better. small and cute and a tad less expensive to feed lol falconry is expensive..... but i can dream lol
i have assisted in banding wild hawks here. ive adopted a few out of a program. ive adopted a female sharp shinned hawk, a female merlin, and a male sharp shinned hawk as well as numerous songbirds (ruby throated hummingbird, rose breasted grosbeak, blackpoll warbler) ive also banded songbirds as well. but id still love to do falconry. maybe one day lol

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I highly recommend if you do start to go for a bird such as a red-tailed hawk, 'cause birds like American kestrels are puny and if you drop the weight too low in training you can and will kill them! I would rather work with the biggest of birds of prey than the smallest. On windy days we often have to keep the little owls and American kestrels on the creance cause they can get blown away :eek:

Turkey Vultures in my opinion are very beautiful. I could buy one for £800 if I wanted to as I know a man willing to sell me his XD

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
D: could i ever start with a turkey vulture????

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends really. Cause vultures don't hunt. And if you live in the US there are tons of falconry rules. Like I guess I don't 'do' falconry cause I don't really bother hunting at all. But I use falconry techniques to train birds of prey. So I go out and fly them to me and stuff and have them soar but never actually catch anything but the food rewards I give xD you would have to look into the rules a lot more, cause over here it's pretty much free. Except if you harm a bird or do not treat it right you get prison I think xD but yeah, it seems a lot more difficult to take up in the US. You'd also have to ask somebody to be your trainer sort of thing. I really don't know how it works. I'll have a good look for you xD

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
im in canada.... we do have falconry and we need to be apprenticed as far as i know.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's the thing I have no idea about XD I hope you find out more about it. I only know the rules over here!

·
Registered
993 Posts
oh my goddness these photos are gorgeous I cant choose there all so pretty but I have a soft spot for eagles and hawks lol, theres so many hawks around here right now and I agree about the vultures when you see them b in the sky you can just imagine they must be amazing and that wingspan. i saw I turkey trying to get lift when he were driving a few days ago it was so funny the poor thing was trying to get lift and i tcould only make to the tree and then fell down lol

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehe they are very beautiful :lol:

and haha! The vulture must have eaten too much

·
Registered
993 Posts
LOL it wasnt a vulture just a wild turkey. And your right he was a fattie lol poor thing

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH! I read turkey as turkey vulture being as that was what we were talking about :eek:

Bless them they are fat :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll get around to that :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hehe doesn't everybody?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts