Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Pi? What kind? Tell me about this smell they have? Is it like an Amazon?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Like an Amazon, slightly more musky :lovehearts: It's very fruity, with a little musk to it. Our Blue Crown Pionus only gets the smell when she's upset, happy, or excited in general. She has a faint smell all the time though. I find it very pleasant :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jenny. I loved the smell of my Amazon...I used to just sniff him. lol Other people tell me the Pionus are muskier (if such a word lol) and way worse but some like the smell & some can`t stand it. I however, have never not liked the way my birds smell. My name is Tracy & I`m a sniff aholic. haha

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:lol: The best part is that Angel, our pionus, gets that musky smell when you cuddle her, so you get lots of chances to sniff!!

Best smelling birds ever? Mustache Parakeets! :lovehearts:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Our pionus is a Maximillian. So far, I don't think she smells any stronger than an Amazon. In fact, I don't think she smells any stronger than our linnie. We haven't brought her home yet, though, so I'm only getting this from the store. She MIGHT smell stronger than I think, because I didn't notice the smell of the linnie at all until I brought her home. One of the store owners had the pionus in her home for years, and she said she doesn't ever remember her smelling stronger than an Amazon.

Now, last year I played a lot with a baby Bronze wing, and he was quite pungent. He smelled very sweet. So sweet, in fact, that I do not think I would have purchased the Maxi if she had smelled that strong. I asked the store owners if they smell less as they age, but they did not know the answer. I don't know if babies smell stronger than adults, if Bronze wings smell stronger than Maxis, or if it is simply that individual birds smell stronger or weaker.

Over the years I have played with Blue heads and white caps, and they all smelled stronger to me that this Maxi does, but, again, they were all young, and the Maxi is at least 13 years old. I have also played with two other Maxis, and I believe both of them were under 3 years of age, but they smelled no stronger than our Daisy does.

I love to smell Daily, too, and the linnie for that matter, but I was frankly overwhelmed by the smell of the baby bronze wing.

Perhaps the Brute Squad can enlighten us about Nanna, who is older than the Maxi but a bronze wing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nanna is beginning to smell like honey. She was not smelling this good five weeks ago. I can smell her when I come home after work as I walk in and then its gone. She is not into baths so we spray her. They do have a stronger smell than a conure our a budgie, by far! I want another Pionus.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've interacted with a few pionus parrots over the years and have never noticed an odor or scent. Maybe I was having a stuffy nose day ;) I have heard that some people are more sensitive to it than others. Kind of like how people are with ferrets or dogs: some people think that they stink to high heaven, other people think that it's kind of pleasant.

I've been recommended pis time and time again as I live in an apartment over a business and have to worry about noise issues. I think that they are a GREAT parrot but personally, for me, I haven't been wowed by one yet... although a dusky pionus almost wrapped me around his little talons. OMG, are they ever beautiful!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I only have linnies and always thought that what they ate determined how they smelled, which btw to me is wonderful, but Taiyo our female lutino smells much sweeter than the others. I love it.. and yes I'm a smell-a-holic too. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.