Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small Penn Plex playgym that was fine when I had Oliver. It was meant for small birds. He never used the swing, ladder, or anything on it for that matter, it was pretty much used for a perch, and an area to hold a bowl of Help seed.

Now that I have Mango I am looking for something bigger and hoping for some suggestions. I want to keep it tabletop, have places to add some toys, maybe cups for food and water. I have been looking around, but just get confused as the pics generally don't really show the actual size compared to the bird.

Any suggestions for a nice size Playgym/Playstand for a GCC size bird?

I appreciate any info.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
you can make one :) theyre more fun as you can customize it, change it up from time to time, you can add what you like and what he likes.

some cheap ideas, since you want a table top one...

do you have any clear storage drawers? if not, you can get one from the hardware store or walmart for cheap.

remove the drawers. you will be left with the frame of it. for a single table top one, just use two or three levels. secure branches, perches, rope, climbing nets, toys and anything you want on it. ive changed mine up a lot, but i got the finished product done

with mine, i used:
one of those accordian style rodent/ferret plastic tubes
jute rope net (i made)
sycamore branches (boiled in hot water in shower and then baked)
Willow branches (boiled and baked)
Jute rope (to secure everything)
coconut food bowl (i made)
Old toy to make swing (i made)
toys (i made)
wood ladder (from petstore)

basically you can make it from whatever you want. and its a fun project.

mine is suitable for both my lovies and my tiels so if my tiels can use it, a green cheek can, only i would get rid of the tube idea (thats for my lovies more than anything)

you can use rope as well on it too

photos of my playgym

and close ups of everything

the tiels didnt want to co operate today... the lovebirds have sharing issues lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the excellent idea. You did a great job, and your beautiful little Lovebird seems to really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob:

Check this out! Got this e-mail from Windy City Parrot this morning:
http://www.windycityparrot.com/Deluxe-Foraging-Tree-Station-Bird-Stand-Mango-Pet.html?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=windycityparrot&utm_content=Save+%24100++on+a+US+Made+Deluxe+Foraging+Station+by+Mango

If I had the room (don't) I'd get one of these for Libby and Angelina -- it's awesome!!!!!

Very nice, a tab over my budget though. :)

I was thinking somewhere around $100.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I can't really help you but I'd definitely have a go at making your own. You'd have a great feeling of accomplishment if your bird loved it :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a small Penn Plex playgym that was fine when I had Oliver. It was meant for small birds. He never used the swing, ladder, or anything on it for that matter, it was pretty much used for a perch, and an area to hold a bowl of Help seed.

Now that I have Mango I am looking for something bigger and hoping for some suggestions. I want to keep it tabletop, have places to add some toys, maybe cups for food and water. I have been looking around, but just get confused as the pics generally don't really show the actual size compared to the bird.

Any suggestions for a nice size Playgym/Playstand for a GCC size bird?

I appreciate any info.
I am making one out of PVC pipe, actually I used PVC for plumbing because they have to be safe enough for drinking water. Then I am wrapping it in vetrap so that it is safer and easier to maintain.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Oh wow, I love that green tube. Where did you get it? Is it just a ferret tube, perhaps? Goober loves to burrow under blankets and sheets and I think she might really like that :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.