Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Plumhead parakeets?

I am trying to find a good website to find informative info about them

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I've worked with one, a young male, was very sweet and loved kisses, but not a touchy feely. They make very sweet little sounds :) They're not that noisy, either, but they can make a kinda piercing whistle

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are SO pretty, males and females both.

You might want to search around for a Psittacula site. Plum-heads aren't as popular as IRNs or Alexandrines but they do have their fans...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I know nothing about them, but we used to have a member who had one, and she posted several informative posts. She was a very kind and informative member, and I wish she still posted, but I cannot remember her name. She had a lory, also, maybe two lories.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the little bit of info I've been able to find they are sweet, gentle birds but not very touchy feeling and needy.

A year old female at one of the petsmarts near me has caught my eye. She is very sweet natured and very quiet. The associates said they have never heard her make any noise. They are desperate to find her a home. If the discount is enough, I might be tempted

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Oooh, Shandi, I thought your flock was complete? :giggle: Our little female LOVED to give kisses and make the kissy noise!

Here's a good video of some of the more piercing noises they can make:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWNomv7GcE"]YouTube- plum headed parakeet.. named peeps[/nomedia]

And here's a female talking quietly:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EhgN4lxldU&feature=related"]YouTube- Talking Plumhead Max[/nomedia]

The females are much quieter than the boys :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha! It is complete but I do feel very sad for this little girl. And they are desperate to find her a home . So who knows what might happen lol!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long does it take for the plumhead on the males to become vibrantly coloured? I read somewhere it can take two years. So this girl might be a boy? I can always ask at bird club tuesday night as Mark, the club president is her breeder lol!

I should know their asking price on Monday or Tuesday. They wanted to ask head office how much of a discount I could get since she's been there for so long. I am so tempted.... Just haven't talked to the hubby yet though lol!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes, that talking to hubby thing might just be important.

What is her personality like as far as you can tell now?

Oh, by the way, I'm rooting for you to be able to bring her home.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She didn't want to come out of her cage on her own, but once out she was quite calm and comfortable. She didn't like hands near her head, but always gingerly stepped up when asked. She has the softest expression and so curious. She kept looking at me and cocking her head slightly. Too cute!

She loves shreddable toys made from soft woods and wicker. And according to the associate has made little to no sounds for the entire time she's been there.

Diet wise she's on a cockatiiel fruit pellet and seed blend. Didn't look to see if she's actually eating the pellets. I hope so. Lol

She reminds me of a larger parrotlet actually lol. The eyes and beak and head are shaped similar. I fell in love with her 6 months ago and when I saw she was still there, my heartstrings were tugged.

All in all she seems to have a gentle soft disposition. I think if given space and respect she would eagerly come out and explore the various bird play areas in our home and also be happy to sit on my shoulder or near me. I don't think shed ever be a hands on, cuddly bird, but I already have that in Kiwi and Jack.

But I can't jump too far into this as I need to have the talk with my hubby. Hoping to hear back tomorrow on what her price is. We have a spare cage and lots of toys so that isn't an issue.

Will keep you all posted

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Good luck, Shandi! I think they're beautiful birds, and I especially love their tail when it grows out. They definitely have the whole "big bird in a little package" thing going :) The ones we had in the shop really weren't that loud and when they sang it was one of the prettiest parrot song I'd ever heard :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Shandi, you got the multiple bird syndrome. It caught up with you. lol I love the plumheads. I saw some at the exotic bird store in St. Clements and was thinking of getting one. The males are so colorful. I did read up about them and read that they can be shy.
Their is a blue Quaker at the Petsmart where I live. He just turned two years old and has always been at the store since he was weaned. I was thinking of him two. They brought the price down but he is still expensive.
When I bought my conure from there I wanted to take him home too. He looks very comfortable in the store, his name is Newman.
I visit him all the time, maybe one day he will come home with me.
Let us know if you get the plumhead.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Shandi,

Any updates?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called the store today, and spoke with the pet care manager.
She is awaiting to hear back from her boss as to what they are wanting to discount her to. She said she should know by tomorrow

·
Registered
131 Posts
She sounds REALLY sweet, Shandi!

I think that the plum-heads are exceptionally pretty, both the males and the females.

Really hoping this works out for you AND the plummie...

G

·
I can help you with any Plum-head questions you have. :)

I can also tell you that you will NOT be disappointed if you bring this little girl home.

Clopin, like most Plums, is not a very touchy-feely kind of bird. Their feathers sit very tight against their bodies and they do not like having it ruffled. However, this does not mean that they are in any way less affectionate. They just show it differently. :)

Clopin adores sitting on our heads. She wants to be in the middle of all the action and observe everything. Plums are usually very curious creatures and they will love nothing more than to ride around on your shoulder (or head) all day just to see what you get up to.

I've read many times that Plums are suppose to be the quieter cousin of the IRN. Well, Clopin gets really loud sometimes. She has a very noisy alarm type call. This doesn't bother me one bit but I know some visitors have complained about it. :rolleyes:

Most of the time she chooses to sing her eery and gorgeous songs though.

Bringing Clopin home has been one of the very best decisions I've ever made. :)

Oh yeah, sometimes Plums can be naughty too.

But it's easy to forgive them. :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.