Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where the post is, and I'm too lazy to look for it, but I want to thank Jenny for a recent post, which could have been on here or on the Linnie Forum, in which she explained that when she removes the covering from new feather growth she starts on the outside of the feather and moves toward the body.

I had always broken the covering up with my fingers, as she suggests, but I had gone the opposite direction, from close to the body outward. My birds much prefer this method, and I don't get nearly as many protest screeches this way.

Shira seems the most positively affected by this new approach. Either the old approach hurt her more than it hurt the others, or she is just very opinionated. (Green cheek conure - so what is YOUR guess? :rofl::rofl::rofl:):rofl: Green cheek people KNOW!)

If I find the post by accident, I'll thank you properly there, Jenny. In the mean time, I thank you, and we all thank you.

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:giggle: No problem, Nanay!! I think it was on the Linnie forum? I learned it through trial and error myself. Working with baby birds who are ALL pin feathers and nothing else lets you really get a feel for pinnies and how to best break them. Imagine helping this poor little dude out! xD

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ouch, little guy looks miserable! I have one green cheek that will allow me to help her. She was so covered with quills that it felt like snapping angel hair pasta! She just closes her eyes and lets me help her out. Then a few days later I have to do it again. My parrotlet lets me do her pins also. Then she flies off and I get to catch her!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Thanks, Jenny!! I didn't see the original post, but it is a great method. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.