Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, im new here :)

I bought a pair of Red Rump Parakeets recently from a pet shop (Totem and Glo). Can anyone help me verify if they are male and female?

And I noticed that Glo (the female supposedly) has what it seems like an infection or something between her wings in the back area, there are no feathers there and you can see the skin.

There are also small orange spots in the infection? :confused: Im hoping that these spots are from the seed mix which contains orange biscuit-like bits.

I live in Oman, and i dont know of ANY avian vets here. So i don't have the option to treat them at one. I appreciate any help/suggestions. :)

Here are the pictures:

I couldn't get clearer pictures because Totem and Glo are still new to the house and freak out whenever i get close to the cage.

·
Registered
887 Posts
They look to be both females to me. Males have a red area above the tail and between the wings (hence the name Red Rump). The blue series don't have a red rump but a white one. Glo may have been plucked by another bird or even herself as she could reach that area. Unfortunately the pictures are not good enough to actually tell. Here is a link that give pictures and descriptions of normal Red Rump Parrots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-rumped_Parrot

I have them living wild where I live and regularly have them on my front lawn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look to be both females to me. Males have a red area above the tail and between the wings (hence the name Red Rump). The blue series don't have a red rump but a white one. Glo may have been plucked by another bird or even herself as she could reach that area. Unfortunately the pictures are not good enough to actually tell. Here is a link that give pictures and descriptions of normal Red Rump Parrots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-rumped_Parrot

I have them living wild where I live and regularly have them on my front lawn.
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Yeah the pictures are low quality unfortunately. I will try to take better ones soon. As for Totem, there is a small red area just above the tail. Im really hoping that it's a male!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.