Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm terribly upset to say that I don't think I'm cut out to raise my bird Reno.

I brought him into my home in July of 2020, and for a while we were very close -- I trained him every day, he spent nearly all day on my shoulder and we learned a few phrases and sounds we could say back and forth to each other. But in March of this year he became defiant and opted to fly away whenever I wanted him to step up. He started obsessively bonding with different objects in my room (pill bottles, water bottles, cans, etc) and acting very aggressive toward me. Any time I'd remove the objects, he'd always manage to find something else. I chalked it up to hormones, but as weeks of this behavior turned into months, I became more concerned.

Since then he's become very restless. He flock calls and paces all day. He's still obsessed with objects and his aggression toward me has gotten much worse. He now makes targeted attacks on me every day. He only flies to me in an effort to bite my hands and neck. I feel terrible knowing that we've become unbonded to the point that he seems to see me as an enemy.

I've frequented the TalkParrotlets forum and it has been a great resource. I'm grateful that I've been able to do so much research there. I've tried nearly everything that they've suggested.

At this point I think it would be best for him if he had a home with someone who has more experience with parrots. My apartment is fairly quiet and he spends most of the day alone. I think he might benefit from a more stimulating environment, perhaps with other birds. I so badly just want him to be happy.

I live in Los Angeles, so if anyone in SoCal is interested in bringing him home, I'll happily drive him to you. I have a few cages of all different sizes and plenty of food and toys to provide. I've posted to TalkParrotlets and will be posting to a few subreddits as well. If anyone has any other resources please let me know.

Thank you,
Brad & Reno

Bird Beak Feather Tail Perching bird

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hello all,

I'm terribly upset to say that I don't think I'm cut out to raise my bird Reno.

I brought him into my home in July of 2020, and for a while we were very close -- I trained him every day, he spent nearly all day on my shoulder and we learned a few phrases and sounds we could say back and forth to each other. But in March of this year he became defiant and opted to fly away whenever I wanted him to step up. He started obsessively bonding with different objects in my room (pill bottles, water bottles, cans, etc) and acting very aggressive toward me. Any time I'd remove the objects, he'd always manage to find something else. I chalked it up to hormones, but as weeks of this behavior turned into months, I became more concerned.

Since then he's become very restless. He flock calls and paces all day. He's still obsessed with objects and his aggression toward me has gotten much worse. He now makes targeted attacks on me every day. He only flies to me in an effort to bite my hands and neck. I feel terrible knowing that we've become unbonded to the point that he seems to see me as an enemy.

I've frequented the TalkParrotlets forum and it has been a great resource. I'm grateful that I've been able to do so much research there. I've tried nearly everything that they've suggested.

At this point I think it would be best for him if he had a home with someone who has more experience with parrots. My apartment is fairly quiet and he spends most of the day alone. I think he might benefit from a more stimulating environment, perhaps with other birds. I so badly just want him to be happy.

I live in Los Angeles, so if anyone in SoCal is interested in bringing him home, I'll happily drive him to you. I have a few cages of all different sizes and plenty of food and toys to provide. I've posted to TalkParrotlets and will be posting to a few subreddits as well. If anyone has any other resources please let me know.

Thank you,
Brad & Reno

View attachment 24379
I just read your post and you are not a bad bird mom, it sounds to me like your bird is a teenager! They hit puberty and they get absolutely crazy and bitey. It’s one of those things we have to live through and we have to be very very very patient with our birds because the bird that comes out of the other side of puberty is the bird you will have for the rest of it’s life. My bird bit the crap oput of me When he went through it and never days honestly I wanted to throw him across the room. But I didn’t. I was very patient with him and told him it was OK.I didn’t try to reprimand him I told him it was OK and I tried to divert him with a toy instead and just waited patiently. That was over six years ago, and he is my best friend. He is very loving and except for low pressure systems coming in like rain storms and during his molt he never tries to bite me.

Be patient work with your bird. He loves you and I can tell you love him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Echoing above, the bluffing phase is the number one reason why parrots get rehomed.
It can take as long as a year or so in some of the cases that I’ve read about, but it just takes patience :(
After it passes, you have your lovable friend back. Parrotlets seem especially prone to this, im afraid.
Not trying to talk you out of anything! It just sounds very much like it’s not you, and he “isn’t” going to be happier somewhere else just because you aren’t there…. He needs to work through this phase of his life and he can return to being your friendly little birb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts