Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Cuddles, my green cheek conure rescue, to the vet yesterday. He checked him over said he was a bit underweight, but smaller than a normal green cheek. His legs, wings and beak all have major deformities. He said he seems healthy, has adjusted to his legs, wings and beak being off, and as long as he is eating and drinking he isn't worried.

I am weaning him off of seed and onto pellets but I have to feed him parakeet pellets since his beak doesn't work right. The bigger ones drop right out of his little mouth. He is on my keyboard as I am typing trying to help me. :biggrin5:

We love him, don't care how deformed he is, oh and he quacks like a duck so my 7 year old calls him cuddles the quacking conure. :giggle: I don't know if this is a real conure sound but he sounds JUST like a quacking duck.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Interesting - does the vet think his growth was stunted due to malnourishment, or is Cuddles a dwarf? (yes there are dwarf parrots for those that don't know - biggest symptom is shortened thigh bones and wing bones, most commonly in Amazons) Not a big deal, just curious :thumbsup:

He sounds like a doll, and it's very sweet of you to take him in and care for him. Birds seem to adapt so well to any disability, and still stay so sweet... :lovehearts: What a special little guy!

·
Registered
662 Posts
He is a sweety. I was just reading on another site about two tiels. The story was about two shoe box tiels, abandoned then saved. It sounds like the same problem. He is so lucky to have you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting - does the vet think his growth was stunted due to malnourishment, or is Cuddles a dwarf? (yes there are dwarf parrots for those that don't know - biggest symptom is shortened thigh bones and wing bones, most commonly in Amazons) Not a big deal, just curious :thumbsup:

He sounds like a doll, and it's very sweet of you to take him in and care for him. :confused:seem to adapt so well to any disability, and still stay so sweet... :lovehearts: What a special little guy!
He really didn't say, he just told me it was one messed up bird. :confused: (his exact words) I gotta be honest it was my first visit with him, he is a certified Avian vet, but I wouldn't bring any other bird back there. I am going to go to a different one that is actually closer that I have heard great things about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and one more thing, he didn't say it was shortened thigh bones or wing bones he said the knee joints were almost backwards and he was amazed the little guy could walk.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What a little cutie! Cuddles looks like a happy little conure :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It is wonderful that you found one another. That quacking is so cute, too.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
He looks like such a sweetie! How wonderful that you found each other!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.