Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope it is okay to do this. I thought I would start a thread in here about Roni, my now 13 month old senegal. I've been writing a lot about her lately in another thread which was begun in order to ask questions about dealing with what had become an annoying amount of contact calling. We are not having issues with this now, and haven't for some time. I had been journaling some of her other behaviors on there, but thought it would be better to start a thread in small parrots for this.

I have enjoyed the threads journaling the adjustment and behaviors of other birds. Since I enjoy Roni so much, I thought I'd like to continue sharing about her here.

She is beginning to develop into quite the talker. Although she does not talk often, maybe only a couple of phrases per day on average, she is saying what I consider to be quite a few phrases for a senegal. Additionally, she is starting to imitate my voice. The only clear word she has said in my voice is "Cannary", which is my nine-year-old daughter's name.

She is sweet when she is sweet and ornery when she is ornery. Sometimes she will sit with me and be sweet for as much as two hours, and other times a few minutes is all the sweetness she can muster at one time.

I love her size, her vocalizations, her playfulness, and basically everything about her. She is one of my favorite birds.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes a journal about Roni I will read with joy! I'm glad you decided to keep us in the loop. Roni has come along way if she is no longer contact calling at the wrong times. I know what you mean about their ability to be sweet, then not able to keep it up. Its good you know when she has had enough. Bites are not fun. Please tell me how you pronounce Cannary, is it like the bird, or different? A lovely name by the way. Who named her?

·
Registered
160 Posts
How about some photos?

Nanay,

How about posting some photos of your Senegal? They are one of my favorite parrots so I'd love to see some pics and also hear about your experiences - so please keep sharing. I'm not at the point where I can see getting one - but maybe some day...

My Bourke Twitter is totally consumed with her nesting activities. She is sitting on her "dud" eggs all day and night. This has been going on for a few weeks. But I figure she needs to get this out of her system and, if I take them away too soon, she will lay more.

My Scarlet-Chested (now named Peeper) has gotten quite tame. He is molting now and is temporarily not flying well - so he is getting tamer like a wing-clipped bird. I am trying to work with him a little extra now that Twitter is "busy" and he can't fly well. Did your Scarlet-Chested ever get past his skittishness?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brute Squad,
Cannary is pronounced like the last name of the actor Sean Connery. Either her biological mother gave her this name, or she picked it out herself. She has told me both stories at various times. I love the name.

Twitter,
Isaac is still quite skittish. He seems to like attention, and will climb up on me of his own accord and play, but the least little thing sends him off in a tizzy. I seldom have him out with the other two little birds because his skittishness causes them to become frightened, too. I do not know how to help him. He still shows no signs of molting into male colors, so although he vocalizes a great deal and does not have some little bars under his wings that they say would indicate he is a female, I am still not certain he is not a female. He was hatched in September.

I'll have to have my son show me again how to post pictures. I'd love to post some pictures of Cannary with the birds now that the adoption is final.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oh my goodness! I never even considered it could sound like Connery! I absolutely love her name. Ok so don't think I'm weird but the next Pionus I get will be Cannary!
Please do post some pictures of Cannary and Daisy. I would like to know how Daisy is doing?
Nanna is letting me hold her for a few seconds more before she tries to ditch me:lol:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cannary took pictures of Daisy on my phone at the bird store the other day, and she let me take pictures of the two of them, so they are in there but I just don't remember how to get them into the computer.

She is doing very well. I think she must realize she is now Cannary's bird. So far, we've also taken Roni in to visit with her after a grooming and Elisa. She did very well with both birds - or should I say Roni wasn't mean to her, which was a shock to me. However, I am aware that in her own home and when she is not recovering from a grooming Roni might not be so nice. However, I think Daisy is old enough and large enough that Roni won't bully her too much even if she tries. Elisa wasn't the least bit intimidated by her, which surprised me. I think the little birds and Daisy will definitely get along fine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm glad that things are looking good in regards to Daisy. I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Cannary is a beautiful name...I assumed it was pronounced Canary, but Connery is lovely!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Roni sounds like such a sweet little poi... those Senegals are something else, aren't they?

I'm looking forward to more stories about her :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roni had night frights again last night. I may need to start keeping a journal to see if I can find a common denominator. Then she slept on the floor of the cage for the remainder of the night, which was a first. I was quite worried about her, but she was acting normal this morning and again this evening. I've never heard of senegals being prone to these. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Senegals are known to be a little phobic, as are many of the African species. I wouldn't be surprised if that translated over into night frights :shrug: Keeping a journal to find what causes it is a wonderful idea, Nanay!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh, poor Roni... Have you thought about using a nightlight near her cage at night?

Do you have cats or dogs in the house? Maybe they are walking near her cage and that frightens you? What about lights from traffic coming through the window?

I hope that you get to the bottom of this... best of luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Our Sennie is pretty bold and brave, but not when new things are placed directly infront of him. Like last night I offered him a finger trap to chew and rip (one of his favorite things to chew on in his foraging toys) and he spazzed out. Meanwhile, there was a baby rattle on the far edge of the coffee table and he eagerly ran over to it and played with it.

So, from my experiences they're bold and curious about everything, so long as they get to choose to be near it. lol!

Looking forward to hearing about pretty Roni :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, she is prone to phobias. I can't predict them, either.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought I would post that she came up with her own solution for night frights last night. Strange, but true. :rolleyes:

She fell asleep with her head inside her food dish and her bum up in the air. She slept that way for quite some time, but in the morning she was on one of her normal night perches. I guess she realized she couldn't see anything frightening that way. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is a lover, but she is very strong willed. :rofl:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just thought I would post that she came up with her own solution for night frights last night. Strange, but true. :rolleyes:

She fell asleep with her head inside her food dish and her bum up in the air. She slept that way for quite some time, but in the morning she was on one of her normal night perches. I guess she realized she couldn't see anything frightening that way. :shrug:
:lol: What a great idea. Maybe I should try that for my headaches. :lol: Does she have a mate:confused: I know, not paying attention. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My best friend and neighbor has a Senegal named DOOBIE -- he's 20 years old now and still ruling the house!

My friend bought him from a breeder when he was just weaned. The breeder was going to "put him down" because his parents had bitten off a couple of his toes. She said he'd never be able to perch right or get around a cage properly. My friend talked her into selling her the bird (at a reduced price). She brought him home and finished the hand feeding. He's been king of the house ever since! He has no problem getting around in his cage or perching, none at all. He even hangs upside down from the top of his cage -- you'd never know he was missing toes!

The only problem is, Doobie LOVES the husband and gets all goo-goo over him, BUT as far as my friend goes, the one who brought him home and has lovingly cared for him for 20 years -- NOTHING! Doobie will rip into her if he gets half a chance! She loves him anyway, but is VERY careful around him! Silly, sweet Doobie!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Dooby sounds like my Cayenne that we did not keep for the same reason. I know of a Pionus that lost a wing and a foot while in the nest and he gets around fine.

How is Roni doing today?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.