Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , eventually Im going to leave the "nest" as my dad puts it seeing I just graduated and im thinking about getting a rosey Bourke. I already know a great deal about them but I'd like to know a bit more from actual owners...

1. How loud are they compare to a budgie ?

2. Whats their poop like?

3. How messy are they?

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what Ive been told, their quieter than a budgie, their poop is not that big and their not messy at all. Im wanting one too, for the very fact that I havent heard anything bad about them at all. They sound to good to be true, lol. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh and their absolutely beautiful, and their song is very pretty sounding!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're lucky - there are a few Bourke's people on here! The ones that I have met (normal, rosey and pink) have been quieter than a budgie. Not sure about the poo or general mess factor. I have been told that they don't climb about a cage like most parrots do but instead flit from perch to perch. Bourke's are interesting little parrots and like you, I hope to share my home with one someday.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what Ive been told, their quieter than a budgie, their poop is not that big and their not messy at all. Im wanting one too, for the very fact that I havent heard anything bad about them at all. They sound to good to be true, lol. Hope that helps.
thats great ! ! ! I was really hopeing they were quieter then the budgies ,they do chat up a storm !
thanks !
Oh and their absolutely beautiful, and their song is very pretty sounding!!!
I agree , their song is beautiful!
You're lucky - there are a few Bourke's people on here! The ones that I have met (normal, rosey and pink) have been quieter than a budgie. Not sure about the poo or general mess factor. I have been told that they don't climb about a cage like most parrots do but instead flit from perch to perch. Bourke's are interesting little parrots and like you, I hope to share my home with one someday.
Thats great ! Hopefully some bourke people will fly by here soon to give me some personal experience

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well , eventually Im going to leave the "nest" as my dad puts it seeing I just graduated and im thinking about getting a rosey Bourke. I already know a great deal about them but I'd like to know a bit more from actual owners...

1. How loud are they compare to a budgie ?

2. Whats their poop like?

3. How messy are they?

Hi Stacey,

I have a Rosy Bourke named Willow. She is EXTREMELY quiet, much quieter than my budgies. When she vocalizes while on my shoulder I have to strain to hear her:) Sometimes she makes a noise that sounds like a faucet dripping. She is very sweet. She has tiny poop and VERY "clean" poop if that is possible. It doesn't smell at all, very little of it. She isn't messy at all.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Stacey,

I have a Rosy Bourke named Willow. She is EXTREMELY quiet, much quieter than my budgies. When she vocalizes while on my shoulder I have to strain to hear her:) Sometimes she makes a noise that sounds like a faucet dripping. She is very sweet. She has tiny poop and VERY "clean" poop if that is possible. It doesn't smell at all, very little of it. She isn't messy at all.
sounds like a winner !!
Thank you !

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Stacey,

My daughter has a male bourkes. He is quieter than most budgies, but makes more vocalizations than a female bourkes. He actually says "pretty bird", "pretty Stanley", and "step up". He is not that easy to understand, though. He makes a great deal of beautiful "song" before the sun comes up and after it sets. Even if we are sleeping right beside him, it doesn't wake anyone in this household up, but it might wake some people. You cannot stop them from vocalizing at this time even you cover the cage, because they vocalize before the sun comes up.

The poop is compact and fairly dry. It is easy to clean. He is not very messy. He does NOT climb cage bars at all, so he never poops outside the cage, but he will sit in favorite spots and poop there. He is potty trained if you are very vigilant to put him on the place to pooh every few minutes, but if you don't he just goes on you. It is easy to clean even if he goes on you.

He has very little odor. His feathers are very soft feeling.

He showed great aptitude for training for a treat reward, but my daughter did not continue to train him. He loves her and will come to her if he can. He has never offered to bite, but I do not believe he could hurt her if he did bite. He doesn't like to hang upside down from her finger and only likes to be stroked in the direction in which his feathers lie, but he will allow petting for some time if you stroke him as he enjoys being stroked. He plays with all kinds of toys. He loves his toys. I am told that many bourkes do not like toys, but he never read that information. He is not nervous. He is a very steady bird.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about a bourkes. Some people find them too sedintary and not playful enough, but I find him quite entertaining. Understand that their fear reaction is to freeze, so if your bourkes is very, very sedentary, it is probably nervous about something. If you "ladder" perches and toys appropriately, a bourkes will play all over its cage. It just has to be able to get from perch to perch by hopping because it won't climb the bars. (You COULD have a rare bourkes that is an exception to the rule.)

Honestly, I have nothing negative to say about a bourkes. I would recommend a bourkes to a child, to an elderly person, to someone in an apartment, to anyone, really.

I hope you find a bourkes that is just like Stanley. He is the best!

·
Banned
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That helped alot nanay ! :)
thank you sooo much ! I was hopeing you were going to say that , seeing I want at least one quietish bird ( Chibi-Chibi chats up a storm all day starting at 4am - 10 pm)
So I think I can handle the morning noise ;) :D

Im so excited ! Im 99.99999% sure im going for one :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Stacey, I agree with Nanay. Kirby was a beautiful bird, inside and out. Bourkes are a bird that I would recommend highly. Sadly, I did a stupid thing last week, while adjusting Kirby's water bowl, and he escaped outside. I haven't seen him since...

·
Banned
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stacey, I agree with Nanay. Kirby was a beautiful bird, inside and out. Bourkes are a bird that I would recommend highly. Sadly, I did a stupid thing last week, while adjusting Kirby's water bowl, and he escaped outside. I haven't seen him since...
Thank you Sharon
We all make mistakes , my dad told me and I went out for a walk around the town a few days ago to see if I could see him because I knew how much he ment to you

·
Registered
662 Posts
We have a female Bourke and she is the sweetest thing. She is our nurse bird and watches over the tiels when they are out. She is like a sheep dog, forever faithful to all the birds we have. I house her in a flight cage, so she flies to her perches or swings. I leave her clipped as she goes home when its time!
You could not go wrong in getting one, they are all thumbs up!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bourkes are great!

I have a hand-raised female Bourke named "Twitter" and she's turned out to be one of the nicest bird pets I've ever had. She was shy at first. She was an older baby (~6 months old) that probably was no longer played with every day, by the time I got her. She would sit on my finger but always fly back to the cage whenever she could see it. But I still took her out every day - sometimes in other rooms where she couldn't see her cage (she was clipped as a baby but almost fully-flighted when I got her - but I never reclipped her). Eventually, I tried letting her out but ignoring her and she soon started flying over to me! Now she spends a great deal of time on my arm and shoulder each day. She also flies around and checks out places in my house, especially my sunroom where my other birds are. The good thing is, she is predictable and has certain favorite spots. And she once she got tame she has stayed tame - she doesn't fly away from me or hang out in inaccessable places like curtain rods. Twitter will always go back to her cage eventually so I never have to worry about her being loose. I keep her unclipped obviously.

I like her because I like a fully-flighted bird and she is not timid or aggressive and does not chew anything. She does poop but they are very small like budgies. She chirps a little, especially at dawn and dusk, but she is not very noisy. I think they are a great choice for a pet because they are especially active in morning and evening, which is when most people are home. And I think they stay tame even when you have more than one so you can get another one after you tame the first one. I'd recommend getting a hand-raised one, however, so taming is easier and faster.

Reactions: nanay and Eliza

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes, that sounds good to me. :giggle:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im loving this thread as I am waiting for my own rosey bourke at the moment. :)One more week!!!!!!!!!! One question I have is do they like to be pet. Obviously it would depend on the personality but Im wondering if anyone has any cuddly rosey's :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Petting your Bourke

My Bourke ("Twitter - see photos in my earlier post) is very tame and friendly but not really petable, like a cockatoo or something. She comes and goes at will - and wants to get right in my face or on my shoulder to nibble my hair much of the time - she will even land on my nose or glasses - but she is not snuggly in that she likes to be held or petted. I think Bourkes just don't do that.

Twitter is fully-flighted and pretty independent. She flies over to me when she wants to - which is 50% or more of the time. But she wouldn't like it if I kept following her around and making her go on my finger. It's better for me to relax and be calm and let her come to me.

When I was having my kitchen redone, my contractor Dave stopped over for a check one morning and Twitter landed on his head. I thought that was pretty funny! Luckilly, he is an animal lover too.

My dog Sparky "helped" Dave work on my bathroom floor...

Here's the final kitchen - finished a couple months ago...

Reactions: Eliza

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shes sooo cute. Ya thats what I had assumed with bourkes, just wondering of ANY do like to cuddle:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.