Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ doesn't seem to be well :(

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  hyacinthalex 
#1 ·
She laid an egg about 5 days ago, ate it about 2 days ago and for the past day and this morning, she's been SO quiet, a bit hunched over, looking very puffed, tired, breathing heavily, not her usual squawky self in the morning. She didn't even make a noise. She unenergentically moved to the next bar in her cage when I called her, but that's it.

I'm so worried I was crying this morning.

Is she maybe just getting ready to lay another big lot?

I'm trying to get hold of the SPCA/vet now.

#2 ·
I'd go to a vet asap, it may just be another egg on the way as bird can get egg lethargy. It's not very nice, you sometimes can't tell the difference between that and actually being ill

#5 ·
I'm so sorry to hear this. Keep us posted.

#10 ·
she does look VERY swollen around the crop area and I have to agree with Jenny, it looks like it could be something to do with the crop :shrug:

is she pooping enough? and is she eating enough?

#11 ·
vet says:

She does have another egg on the way. Her crop is swollen cos the food wont go down. Mostly urimating. Her diet isn't the best (cos she wont eat anything other than seed and lettuce so I need to drastically change that when she's better.

She has calcium which I need to give her every day.

She is being very cute and letting the bf and I hold her and pat her when normally she doesn't like that. think she's going to lay soon.

#12 ·
Please try to change her diet, seed and lettuce is something most budgies will only eat but you really have to get more variety in there, it can be hard but just take away all the seed etc and try her on something else.

Use a cuttlefish bone for calcium + you can buy liquid calcium that you put a few drops of into the water, I highly recommend this.

She is probably letting you hold her like that because she is too exhausted with his egg on the way. I find that with sick birds or birds due to lay that they really don't move that much haha.

She should lay very soon.

Are these eggs fertile?

#14 ·
Budgies are pretty hard to feed in my opinion, they're seed addicts :lol:

And ahh okay! I thought they may be fertile :eek: got all excited for chicks then haha!

#15 ·
Yeah, if food won't go down, her crop is probably impacted. She'll probably need to go on antibiotics to prevent the food stuck in there from fermenting and causing an infection. http://www.avianweb.com/slowcrop.html It could also be gas-filled but that's more common in babies... I suspect if she's not pooping at all, it's impacted and there's something blocking her crop up so none of the food she eats is making its way to her stomach :(

#17 ·
What did he suggest in order to help the egg pass? Are you supposed to put her into a humid environment?

#19 ·
That would make it very difficult. You really take good care of her. Not many people would take a bird to two different vets. I am rooting for her.

#23 ·
That is good news. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.