Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again guys, so Russ laid an egg a few weeks ago, and that's fine. She only laid one like last time, and ignored it like last time. So I dicarded it after about 5 days.

She laid another a couple of days ago, which I thought was weird as she laid her first one in October and not another until now.

THE WEIRD AND DISTURBING PART IS:

I just got a text from my boyfriend who is at home, saying she has started eating the egg.

Is this a bad thing??? Shall I remove it or let her be a disgusting, bad mother cannibal horny cow (she 'gasms lots haha) and eat it, I assume getting up her calcium?

The ironic thing is, she won't eat normal egg shells...

(I do love my bird to pieces, she's just fricking disgusting sometimes ^_^ :lovehearts:)

Thanks in advance!

Katie

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh I've had a few of my birds eat their own eggs, sadly it has happened BEFORE I could get to them and stop them doing it, it has never caused them any harm, it's just pretty gross!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It is gross, but it is nature. Mother llamas will eat their afterbirth if you don't remove it right away, so that's pretty gross. Perhaps they get something they need from eating their own eggs. The theory on the llamas eating the afterbirth is that it prevents predators from following the herd in search of the new born baby. Maybe that is true. Maybe it isn't. At least you know the egg can't be fertile.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, thanks guys - at least I wasn't there to watch it! haha!
That thing on llamas is interesting and rather gross.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Believe it or not some humans eat placenta too. Though I wouldn't!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
yeah but I wouldn't wanna touch it! Then again I'm terrified of child birth, when I feel the time is right and I'm all good financially I'd love to adopt a baby from somewhere that is really struggling :biggrin5: so no placenta eating for me!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Lol i had no pain relief at all when i give birth to Brandon, i was scared to take any pain relief or tablets for a headache back then lol

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I can't swallow tablets! haha

·
Registered
768 Posts
I couldn't either i had to buy soluble ones but now i just cut them in half or find tiny ones lol

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I can't even have the soluble ones!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
ohhh.. I thought it HAD to be taken with water :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I'd rather use orange cause I don't drink water... I'm so awkward!

·
Registered
993 Posts
lol I hate drinking water too I always have orange juice in the fridge, I doubt Ill ever have a kid Im really good with kids but I just love animals so much I wanna devote my life to helping them and animals will always be my first love so it wouldnt be fair :(

Yeah nanay's right usually its not fertile if they eat it or not in a nest box I mean if its not fertile its kinda like eating chicken eggs :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.