Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, she doesn't have a male, so it was infertile. I realised the day before she laid it that it was going to happen. She was shredding paper a lot more than usual, hiding in dark spaces and having too much 'her' time (gross). She was also swollen in her vent area.

Then next morning, there it was. I had read up to leave it in case she sat on it etc, and if I discarded it, she'd keep laying more, but she ignored it. It was eerie, sitting there, bloody, in amongst broken eggshells (I'd given her eggshells to eat but she just picked them out of her food and chucked it on the ground).

That was last Sunday. She's only just started being friendly and a bit noisy again. She hasn't laid another. I discarded it 2 days ago after she hadn't touched it at all. But other than that, she seems to be okay. Her vent is still a bit swollen, she's not straining for poos, they aren't giant poos either.

I guess I just want your thoughts on it all, as I know they usually lay clusters.

All my google searching has given me so many diff answers, a lot of them really contradicting and some answers quite wankery tbh. So your thoughts on it would be great.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Katie,
I have no knowledge regarding egg laying, though I should gain some because as far as we are aware all of our birds are females. (The dna sexed ones all came out as female, the bourkes acts and looks like a female even though we guessed as a baby that it was a male, and the linnie is "supposed" to be a female but also is not dna'd.)

I responded because I wanted to say, "Glad you are back! We missed yoru posts."

Many on here will be able to answer your question, though.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Just keep an eye on her - some birds will lay a single egg, some will lay more than one. It's really situational. some birds will brood over their eggs for months, some will ignore them completely or even eat them immediately upon laying. Forgive me, but what kind of bird is Russ? Some species tend towards different egg laying behaviors than others

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks, Katie. I'm not 100% on budgies, but they're not known for being overly nesty and broody like lovebirds and tiels. Tiels are the worst for continual laying that I've seen. Have you posted at TalkBudgies? It's run by the same people as this forum, but it's dedicated solely to Budgies, so you'll find more species experts over there :thumbsup: Here's a good article I found on their site about chronic egg laying and what to look for:

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=13902

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Now, Katie, you are not useless here. I just like to hear the further adventures of Russie.

So many people have stopped posting to the forum. :(

I'm glad you are back, for however long you can stay.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Katie. I'm not 100% on budgies, but they're not known for being overly nesty and broody like lovebirds and tiels. Tiels are the worst for continual laying that I've seen. Have you posted at TalkBudgies? It's run by the same people as this forum, but it's dedicated solely to Budgies, so you'll find more species experts over there :thumbsup: Here's a good article I found on their site about chronic egg laying and what to look for:

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=13902
I used to post there, then they did this huge change over and I can no longer log in or anything, so a friend from there who (still posts here maybe) recommended me to here.

Hah, naynay, it's more my lack of rememberence of forums I've signed up to, so I shall try be a bit better ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.