Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some sad news here. I lost my beautiful Scarlet Chested Parakeet “Peeper” recently. He was never very active and I didn’t know if that was normal for the species. But eventually, he seemed like he was sick and not getting better. I took him to the vet in March and he was diagnosed with an eye infection and also “gram negative” bacteria. The vet put him on eye drops and antibiotics for 2 weeks. He seemed to get better, to a degree, but something was still up with him. There evidence he was regurgitating on his chest, which frequently looked wet. Anyway, I found him dead last week, with little warning. Since I have many birds, I had them do a necropsy on him. The Univ of Penn vet ( a different one than the one that said he had an infection) thinks he died from Proventricular Dilatation Disease. Here is a link about the disease:
http://www.stfrancisanimalandbird.com/ResourcesLibrary/?page_id=12

This disease is apparently widespread with many birds being carriers but not all of them get the disease, which seems to always be fatal in the end. But they don’t know that much about it. Some articles suggest that 30% of the pet birds in America have been exposed to it. My Bourke Parakeets, in cages on either side of him, are still as healthy as ever, showing no symptoms of anything.

So it's something folks should be aware of but, because it doesn't always show symptoms and they don't know very much about how it spreads, it's probably not something to lose sleep over. Sad for me though to lose such a nice friendly bird!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm so very sorry for you loss.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss... PDD is an ugly disease, they're looking very hard into a cure and I hope they find something soon

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I'm really sorry, he was very beautiful. Thanks for the info about the disease

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just lost my sweet conure last Friday. Same thing...she was fine in the morning, then she was dead at the bottom of the cage in the evening. Thanks for the info, as she did do a fair amount of feather picking that the vet and I couldn't figure out. And I have a friend with a problem feather picking and actually mutilating herself. I will forward the article to her.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am sorry for your loss, Ron. He was both beautiful and sweet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for the kind words. My other birds are all fine, thank goodness.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got an official vet report from the University of Pennsylvania that says it was PDD. They also tested him for a variety of other things and they came back negative. So I guess I am pretty sure it was PDD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Ron. Thanks for this new article. I have called my vet's office and am waiting for a call back to see if we can find out for sure if this is what my sweet Autumn died from. And I will forward this article on to my friend with the mutilating quaker, too.
Vicki

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PM me if you want a copy of my bird's report

Vicki,

If you PM me your home e-mail address, I can forward you my bird's vet report about PDD and you can share that with your vet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.