Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 cockatiels (they are fully flighted as I don't believe in wing clipping). They are NEVER in a cage unless it's at night (sleep time) or if I have to leave the house (so they have free roam of entire house). I work from home so I'm home 99% of the time. I would really LOVE to one day get a cat (kitten).

But even if I get the cat as a KITTEN I am EXTREMELY worried though that this would be a very bad idea for me to ever have a cat since I have birds? Anyone here have a cat and parrots? I was told by someone that it should be OK so long as I get the cat as a kitten... but I am still super conerned about this!! Am I over reacting?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Super Moderator
6,437 Posts
Cats even kittens are not a good mixture for birds, a tiny scratch or lick or nibble from a cat/kitten can cause death to a bird. Cat saliva is toxic as it has so much bacteria. I've had cats and birds before and it wasn't a good mix. I was always on guard to make sure the cat wasn't near my birds and sometimes you can't be every where all the time to assure you can create a perfectly safe environment.

Maybe get a kitten/cat later on in time when your birds are older and more interested in staying in their cage as they grow older and less mobile, or if you have a change of heart about living with birds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I've decided I'm NOT getting a kitten while I have birds. I would not be able to live with myself if something happened to my birds... just because I wanted to get a cat.

I hope my birds live a long time... but when they pass is the only time I will ever get a kitten.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts