Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm creating a list of things I am going to eventually buy for my birds. Sandy perches (to help keep nails trimmed) are some of the things I will buy. I want at least one in each cage (one in my budgies' cage, one in my cockatiel's cage, and one in my Sun Conure's cage). I know which size I should get for my budgies and cockatiel, it is the "mini" sized. This one:

http://www.naturechest.com/minisandy.html

The mini sized says that small conures can use it, too. I have a Sun Conure. Would it be appropriate for my Sun Conure? Or would this ("small") size be better:

http://www.naturechest.com/smallsandy.html

If you think one would be better than the other (other than it being a buck cheaper), please tell me. Otherwise, I'll probably just go with the bigger version for my Sun Conure, and the smaller ones for my budgies and tiels.

Update: After looking through one of my bird books, it says: "The therapeutic (sandy) perch should be 3/4 inch in diameter or a varying diameter of 1/2 to 1 inch." The mini size is 1/2 inch, and the small size is 1 inch, I believe. So that doesn't help me much.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't gotten a clear answer on the question about sandy perch sizes. So I am still looking for that!

But I also have a question about tents or sleeping huts or whatever you want to call them. I'm not sure which version I should choose for my Sun Conure and which size would be best. Here is the website I will be purchasing them from and all the different tents and such that they sell. Please give me a link to the one you believe would be best for my Sun Conure! http://www.naturechest.com/birdbeds.html

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I really like the bamboo perches that are plain bamboo on the top and then covered with the sandy stuff on the bottom only. They are made, I believe, by a company called Sweet Feet? Not sure. I like them because the birds feet are not touching the sandy part. For a perch of this nature you only want the bird's feet to go around about half way. The tips of the nails must rest against the perch or it does you no good.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spicky told me on TB that she doesn't suggest sandy perches but these "safety perches" which are cheaper and on that same website. I haven't looked at them, I don't really know what they are exactly, probably similar to the bamboo ones.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Abby,
I looked on that site and those safety perches look very nice, too. They also have the bamboo perches I was referring to. They are called "Go Green", so I was incorrect about the name. I think both types would have the same advantages. I am going to look into the ones you suggested, too. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go for the 1" perch for your Sun conure, the other size is definitely too small. Sandy perches work better if they are on the large size

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.