Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saving for a macaw and interested on getting as much info as I can.....

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Abby 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, my name is Tressa and I am of course saving up for my 1st macaw. A military macaw that is. I did post in the introduction and I currently own 4 other birds. 2 Tiels (one talks one doesnt), 2 budgies(going on 5 months old next month still learning to gain my trust and bond with me).

I do know that my macaw will be a BIG step up from those two birds. As I mentioned I am working on doing my research a head of time while I save up for him. That way I will be very prepaired for when I bring him into the house. I already have my name in mind for him(hence my user name for here), which means I can NOT back down for buying him.

If any one wishes to help me prepair for my new macaw. I would greatly appreciate the help. To help me get my knowlage of owning macaws and what to be prepaired for in the future when he gets brought into the house.

I will say this I do not go to collage or work so I do have time for one which is one plus side about me. I am disabled I had back surgry in the year 2008.

#2 ·
:welcome: to the forum!! Wow - a military is certainly a big step! They are great birds, the biggest suggestion I can give is to offer a consistent routine, try to socialize them well, and don't let yourself be intimidated by the beak :) I haven't worked hands on with Militaries, so I don't know their quirks compared to other Macaws, but I've worked with Macaws in general (B&G, Scarlet, Green Wing, Mini's, etc) as well as own a Severe and those are the big things people tend to forget/have issues with.

#3 · (Edited)
:welcome: to the forum!! Wow - a military is certainly a big step! They are great birds, the biggest suggestion I can give is to offer a consistent routine, try to socialize them well, and don't let yourself be intimidated by the beak :) I haven't worked hands on with Militaries, so I don't know their quirks compared to other Macaws, but I've worked with Macaws in general (B&G, Scarlet, Green Wing, Mini's, etc) as well as own a Severe and those are the big things people tend to forget/have issues with.

Thank you and I won't let myself be intimidated by the beak. Thank you for the welcome as well Jenny. As I have stated I have even wanted one before my current 4 in my flock. My macaw that I would be getting when I do get him. Would be my last addition of course. Also Jenny, should I try the constent routine to start with my current four so that when I get the 5th I would be on that exact routine? When I do go try to gain trust and bond with my current ones. Read them a book the one there currently reading is called Warriors-Into the wild(by erin hunter).

Though, I am glad that I decided to join here to help me on my reaserch :lovehearts:

I am also looking on petfinder for the poor birds who are up for adoption cause there owners couldn't take care of them.

Is there a difference between the Militarys, blue&golds, and sever macaws as in sizes?

As well as differences in sizes between Indian ringnecks and conures?

#6 ·
I never thought of reading to the birds. Sounds like a great idea.

#7 ·
I never thought of reading to the birds. Sounds like a great idea.
Sometimes I think it helps creat a small bond for when your ready to start hand training them. I can tell my budgies are still a bit scared so I stopped hand training them for a bit till they've settled in more. I'll start up agian next month once they've had a longer time to settle in.

#10 ·
Hey it's cool that you're thinking of getting a macaw even if it a step up but as long as you're learning and stuff and getting advice you should be okay.
I find that the military macaw acts in similar ways to the blue and gold. They're pretty laid back and can give you a lot of love providing you give it them back haha!

I have found that with the military macaws they can also be a little grumpy but hey it can't be like that with all of them.

They're a tad smaller than most of the large macaws so they can be a bit easier to handle.

Good luck and keep us updated if you do end up buying one :D

#11 ·
A macaw! Very cool.

I only have budgies and cockatiels, so I've never owned a macaw. Of course, I will most definitely be owning one sometime in my life.

Yes, it might seem like a big step, but just because you have only owned smaller birds, I don't think that means you shouldn't buy a macaw. I read and read and read and read all the time about birds big and small, and I also visit other birds that don't live with me alot, and I think by now I'd feel comfortable owning a big bird such as a macaw if it was an option for me. Just make sure you do all the research you can.

I would highly suggest buying a few books on them. I have enjoyed my books so much more than what I find on the internet. I feel like there's a whole ton more information. In addition to that, ask lots of people who personally have experience with those birds. Make sure you are fully prepared before you buy one.

Good luck!! I hope to see pictures when you finally buy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.