Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He went through a molt about two months ago,he still has a few pin feathers that wont seem to go away.he eats veggies,a cuttlefish bone,and the best parrot food thier is.what am i doing wrong?:confused:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm not an authority Chelsea but I agree that something is wrong. Did he look like that before his molt? What do you consider the best bird food?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought bingo when he had his molt.the previous owner had bingo on a all seed diet.this is what bingo is eating now.plus the fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi there Chelsea,
It looks as if Bingo is plucking, I would suggest taking him to a vet to get a medical reason ruled out as a starter. IF nothing comes back on that then its behavorial and it might be possible to stop it.

Seed isn't always such a bad thing as long as is got a good variation in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK i will do that:)IF it is behavioral problems which i think it is because the previous owner kept bingo in a cage that was so small i wouldn't even put a finch in,with no toys just a nest box.what can i do to stop bingo from plucking?i havn't seen any feathers at the bottem of the cage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Maybe he could be allergic to something in the pellets? Or getting too much of some vitamin in them? Just an idea to throw out there. :) I've read some birds can be allergic to things and that some just don't do well with pellets or certain brands.
I agree, a vet visit is in order to rule out any medical issues. :hug:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe he could be allergic to something in the pellets? Or getting too much of some vitamin in them? Just an idea to throw out there. :) I've read some birds can be allergic to things and that some just don't do well with pellets or certain brands.
I agree, a vet visit is in order to rule out any medical issues. :hug:

thats a good idea.thank you for the advice:)now i just need to find a vet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am not anywhere close to an expert, but those feathers don't look right. I agree with Enna that it almost looks like plucking. From what I have read it is often very difficult to get a bird to stop plucking. Getting it out of that small cage is a start and giving it plenty of toys is a must.So when you first got Bingo he looked like this, is that right? Is there any way you can get her to a vet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Aww Chelsea, it does look like plucking. Did it look worse when you got him? What about his new feathers how do they look? If you don't see feathers on the cage floor, maybe these feathers are the ones he had before you got him. If his new feathers are normal then i guess he just needs to molt the bad feathers out. Either way it'd be better to find an avian vet. Do you need any help finding one?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Chelsea, it certainly looks like feather mutilation. When you rub his tummy, is it all prickly? It almost looks like he's just chewing his feathers up, rather than pulling them out. If that's the case, it's a behavioral thing that could come from a huge list of reasons :frown: I would make sure he has enough toys in the cage to chew and shred to maybe take his frustration out on. You might want to try a toy with some feathers on it so he can destroy those rather than his own.

While chewing is harder to stop than plucking, it's much less destructive and harmful to their physical wellbeing. When they just chew them they don't usually damage the follicle (is that what it's called? lol) of the feather so it will grow back in once you solve the problem :thumbsup:

I agree with everyone though that a vet visit is in order as a top priority to solve the problem!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have to wait until after the holiday's to find a proper vet.i also haven't rubbed his belly he hates it when i touch him with my fingers if he isnt ready for it, but i will.when i first got bingo he was going through a molt and all his feathers were very dull looking:( they are much shinier and healthier looking now though.:)his chest feathers are very slowly starting to come back expecially around the neck area.also the previous owner didn't have a cuttlefish bone in the cage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of the best things you can do to stop plucking is to give them lots of foraging opportunities and the space to explore and do it. Hiding their food and making them work for it for example. A busy beak doesn't have time to pluck. I feed very little food in bowls but rather put it in foraging toys so they need to find it and figure out how to get it before they can eat it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Chelsea, looking at those pics, is he wet? That is not a normal molt. Where are you located? I could recommend some avian vets for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of the best things you can do to stop plucking is to give them lots of foraging opportunities and the space to explore and do it. Hiding their food and making them work for it for example. A busy beak doesn't have time to pluck. I feed very little food in bowls but rather put it in foraging toys so they need to find it and figure out how to get it before they can eat it.
Ditto that!..
.it also looks like over preening to me not plucking,get your baby to the vet asap and rule out any medical reason..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.