Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if we can spread our colds and stuff to our birds.... flu and all the nasty viruses and stuff we get??? thanks <><

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
As far as I know the only sickness you can pass on to your birds is pink eye, but I would call and ask your vet to be sure :thumbsup:

·
Registered
887 Posts
The simple answer is no. We cannot give birds the common cold or the flu. Birds can give us Psitticosis, also known as Clamydia or Ornithosis, but we cannot pass it on to birds or to other people.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Yeah, I really don't think we can pass much to them. By kissing your birds on their beak, they can get bacteria from you, but I don't think they can catch any illnesses. Good thing, too. And good thing we can't catch stuff from them!!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Sadly Abby we can catch illnesses off them which sucks haha.
Good job we can't give them anything though, if we could my birds would be ill all the time considering I'm never healthy haha :lol:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Oh, now that I think about it, I feel slightly stupid, considering one of the reasons why my Dad didn't want me to get birds was because he's heard of people catching illnesses from them....

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
hahaha I'm sure they're not too common so I don't think you'll have to worry about that XD

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm going to ask the avian vet this question tomorrow when I take Ashlynn and Shira in for their well-bird checks - if I can remember, lol.

I want to know myself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would say washing your hands before and after handling her would go along way to protecting both you and your bird from various germs. For instance if you are handling food that has a high chance of salmonella then touch your bird she could pick up the bacteria that way.

I was wondering recently if I should get some of that bird probiotics to keep their guts filled with good bird bacteria. Anyone have any idea about that?

Abby, sometimes people develop a type of allergy to bird's dander which can cause them some distress even though the bird is perfectly healthy. See link:

http://petcaretips.net/bird-keepers-lung-disease.html

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I always wash my hands before and after :) that goes for any animal

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I'm aware of that. There are some birds, like cockatiels and cockatoos, who have dust on their feathers.

I was unsure whether using hand sanitizer before handling my birds were safe or not, but after visiting the Bird Farm and seeing them use it before they handled my Sun, I believe it is safe. I have some right next to the cage area and before and after handling them, I use it. I also wash my hands often throughout the day. Just to prevent from spreading germs and bacteria from the birds and to the birds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wuld think as long as the hand sanitizer dries completely before getting the "fumes" near ur birds that it should b fine... As far as still wet and smelling like alcohol, i would think- bad.... But i could b wrong on all of that... I personally wuldnt take a chance on the harsh smell that stuff has, i know candles and air fresheners are bad so i wuld think the smell of that stuff wuld b no different

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.