Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got myself a little red male betta fish!
I named him Sir Fabian the Great. ;)
I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but when I eventually move out, I really want to get into a hobby of keeping saltwater fish aquariums and such. This isn't much of a step there, but whatever. He's cute!

·
Registered
914 Posts
aww hes cute:) I had a betta years ago named Apollo but now I have goldfish.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really wanted two big gold fish or gold-fish looking fish, but none of the tanks with filters that were affordable were big enough. So this is a 1.5 gallon with a filter and light. I think it looks great.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately it's really plain right now! I'll get more decorations soon. What's in there is just what came with the tank.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
He is an attractive fellow.
Cannary wants a betta, so now we are in the reading only stage. I told her we had to know all about them before I would try a new adventure in animal species. I'll probably be asking lots of questions for any of you who have knowledge of bettas.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
He is pretty cool. I love his color. It is nice your tank has a filter and light. Most people get Betta's and place them in a bowl and then have to change water every day or so. They soon forget, and wonder why the Betta dies.

I was into fish for a long time. I had a 15g nano reef, for 10 years. My clown fish was in it the whole time. If interested here is a link to my tank that was Tank of the Month at Advanced Aquarist online site.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/10/aquarium

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I like your Vail Tail Betta, he's beautiful, and your betta setup is great!
I have a couple of Bettas too but different betta species.

My male Plakat Betta

My Female Cambodian Plakat Betta

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How cool, Bob! :)
Love your fish, tippa.
Fabian seems really happy. He's swimming around a TON. I'm glad he is well here.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
i had i tropical tank and i tried really hard to keep the fish happy and healthy but i failed at it and so did my dad so sadly the fish died. i think its because the heater thing that kept the water warm was faulty

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, keeping saltwater tanks seems really difficult. I joined an aquarium forum recently, hoping to get on there every now and then and learn what I can before getting a saltwater fish tank of my own. (Which will be in a few years.)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
He's a cutie :) I love bettas. I have mine in a 5g tank with 2 mystery snails (white and blue). I'll have to post a picture sometime. He's really pale lavender with blue fins, he's a dragonscale betta. I've been tempted to get a Plakat or King betta, they are really pretty and huge, but I don't have the tank space. I keep my betta in a tank with a filter and low water flow and I put a live plant in there to keep the water quality up.

I also have a 10g tank with 2 paradise blue gouramis, 2 rainbow fish, a cory cat, and a gold mystery snail :) My gold mystery snail is a turd - he ate 3 glowfish and a pleco before I caught on to what was happening and moved him to the 10g. He also tried to eat his new mystery snail friend, the blue one, even tho they're supposed to live in colonies. The fish in the 10g, specifically the paradise gouramis, killed my purple mystery snail, so I was reluctant to do it but... he's a turd and a survivor and is doing just fine up there lol

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bahaha! He eats everybody! That's hilarious, Jenny! :lol:
I would love more fish.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Woah! What a cool fish! Beats mine, hehe.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Bahaha! He eats everybody! That's hilarious, Jenny! :lol:
I would love more fish.
Yeah :lol: They're supposed to eat Algae... Mine has developed a taste for flesh :yikes: So I put him in the tank with the snail killers and he's managed to survive. He's my Commando Snail, killer of all and survivor of the harshest conditions known to snail-kind! :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Just don't get any Assassin snails, they'll eat all the snails you've got in your tank. I have tried keeping Malaysian Trumpet Snails & Ramshorn snails but I failed miserbly, they supposed to eat the algea and clean up my tanks.

King of all Bettas/Plakats has got to be a Dragon Plakat. I just love them, but they are seriously expensive here in UK.

I have bred these bettas and Plakats loads of times and they all hatched into fries, but none ever survived to adulthood :(

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, nice, Jenny. You make me laugh. :lol:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I love Bettas they're so easy to keep but so pretty and intelligent, theres those cool tricks they can do on youtube

I had large tank so quite some time but to be honest when my last fish went I was a little relieved it was alot of up keep, if I didnt have the birds it would've been easier but there's too many cages to clean already haha.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awh that's so cute!

I really wanna keep saltwater fish too. My nan has bought me a 60L tropical aquarium but I only have cold water fish at the moment and I wont get rid of them or anything so I'm just gunna have to wait and see what happens XD I have 2 shubunkins (or however you spell it) a fantail goldish, a black moore and something that looks like a shubunkin with no dorsal fin but I forgot its name :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If you gals wanna do salt water, keep in mind the bigger the tank the easier it is. Smaller tanks need more frequent water changes and upkeep, whereas a large reef tank has enough bacteria, snails, shrimp, crabs, etc in it that it becomes it's own sustainable ecosystem and need minimal maintenance once you get it established and balanced :thumbsup: We have a 75g reef tank now, we started with a 20g then moved to a 50g and it just keeps getting easier ;) They're still finicky, you'll still lose fish/coral for no reason (we got a beautiful blue and purple clam and the water/light/conditions are perfect but he's struggling and prob won't make it after a month in the tank. We have no idea why, it just happens) but they're easier to maintain I've found

My dream tank is a 30-50g long freshwater planted tank with Discus & other tropical fish in it :lovehearts: I adore planted tanks, they are almost like little bonsai gardens when done right. They're just a lot of work lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.