Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not posted a thread in a long time, we now have 7 parrots in our small flock and buying toys gets expensive so we've started making our own, i've read how sisal rope is the best thing to use IF you can find it untreated with the oils that make it last longer for outdoor use and such. I've read that just sisal has a strange smell to it but I've read about how bad the treated rope/twine smells also, does anyone else use this for toy making?? If so has anyone ever used or looked into the twine at tractor supply?? Thanks

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Wait a minute, Cory! You have joined the ranks of those who own seven parrots? Who are these seven parrots?

I have several toys made of sissal rope, and I don't find the smell offensive. These were purchased at a bird store, so I think they are ok. I will ask others about how one would know if they were getting untreated rope, and where to purchase it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three of them are budgies, two of them ive had a long time, meeko & pluto , they are cage mates... The third budgie is the newest flock member, got her from a lady that didnt want her.... I have a pair of blue masked lovebirds, zoey & jasper..... I recently rehomed a cockatiel thats a bit on the older side, they couldnt take care of her anymore due to work travel, she came here (kentucky) from atlanta, they called her "birdie" but we have started calling her rosie also.... And I still have my pineapple green cheek , Peaches

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I use hemp rope that I buy in the craft section at walmart... it is about $5 a roll and is untreated. It says polished , but that just means it is smoothed out not that there is anything added.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Happy to hear about your new additions.
I think I'd just buy one from a bird place. I don't have the patience for that. :giggle:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Thank you.
What do you mean by in bulk? Kind of like how Sams Club sells huge versions of foods like cereals and stuff?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Pretty much. Buy 10+ and you get a discount, buy a whole spool of rope, rather than lengths, get a discount, etc. The more you buy, the less you pay essentially

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I don't know anything about this but congrats on the new flock members

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.