Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I went to a breeder to purchase a baby 'tiel.

One baby - 7 weeks old - had been completely feather plucked by it's mother. It has a crooked leg (perhaps splayed, but I'm not certain) and is strangely underdeveloped, looking more like a three-week old fledgling. Lots of pin feathers, but BALD on head, back, abdomen. Fluffy baby feathers on its wings. And still being Hand Fed.

The breeder does not know what to do except to care for this bird as a handicapped bird until such time she allows it to be euthanized (which she has been advised to do by other breeders.)

Has anyone experienced this type of extremely delayed development? Is there hope for this little creature?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Aww, poor baby! I've seen babies plucked by their parents and with leg deformities, but if he's having stunted growth... there's probably something wrong internally that we can't see... :frown: All she can do is feed him and do her best and wait it out, unless she wants to take him to the vet and diagnose whats wrong and go from there

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I sure would not have it put down, where is this breeder? I have a lot of handicapped birds that were near being put down. I have found that the handicapped are the sweetest little birds in the world. I have one I've had for 13 years and she look pityful, but she has so much love, she had a stroke about two years ago, but she wants to live. I will take it if it's where I can, where is she located? I'm in Oregon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my experience this is also sometimes a sign of yeast or other illness. I would advice a vet visit to diagnose and plan treatment.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Nan I had one that was underdeveloped as a baby. It had to be hand raised from day 1 and the crop continuously stopped and I would have to drain the crop and just give it basically liquids until the crop kicked in again. Everytime I tried to thicken the food and stretch the crop the crop would stop. This went on the whole time it was being hand raised. When he finally weaned he just did not stop eating at all. By the time he was about 6 months old he had caught up to birds of the same age that had no problems. Luckily he did not develop a yeast infection in the crop.

Over here in Australia we can get over the counter at the pharmacist a liquid thrush medication for children, this can be used on birds for yeast infection and it won't hurt if the bird does not have thrush. The dosage is .5 ml 3 times a day by eye dropper directly into the beak at least 1/2 an hour before feeding. If given during feeding or after it will dilute the medication so give it before so the body has time to absorb most of it before the food is given. The product over here is called Nylstat and the active ingredient is Nystatin.

With the leg deformity the baby may be suffering from calcium deficiency. Try giving a small amount more of calcium in the hand raising mix and also add a Vitamin D3 supplement so the body can absorb the calcium. Without D3 the body cannot absorb calcium no matter how much is given. You can also try massage on the leg or maybe putting a splint on it to try to straighten it. If the foot cannot grip normally massage the toes to help strengthen them and this can improve the grip. The splint can be done with either tooth picks with the sharp ends cut off and cut down to size or even a hard match (not the little soft packet type) cut down and medical adhesive tape to tape it to the leg. The bones are fairly soft at this stage and could help to straighten the leg. You could also try a higher fat content in the diet to help put weight on. Something like peanut butter (smooth type) mix a small amount of that into the hand raising mix.

Hope this helps.

Kate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.