Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's Spring here in Oz and breeding season has started. I have high hopes this year as we are getting good rain fairly regularly, that along with warmer weather starting and the days getting longer it looks like we may have a reasonable breeding season. I have put the nest logs in with the Galah's (Rose Breasted Cockatoos) and they are looking in and moving the nesting material around. Put a nest box in with my Grey Green Rainbow Lorikeets and she was checking the box out in about 5 minutes of the nest arriving. Will check that today and see if she is getting ready to lay. Put new nesting material in with the Princess Parrots and when I checked the box yesterday she already has 2 eggs. I had heard them displaying for about 1 week before this, she has been begging the male for food for that time. I am thrilled as I only got the female back last year, but it was late in the season at the middle of October and it was really too late for them. I got 2 lovely chicks and we got a heat wave when they were just over 2 weeks old and I lost both babies. This year they have laid in the correct time frame so by the time the hot weather comes I will have already taken the babies for hand raising.

Tonight I am getting 2 more pairs of Rainbow Lorikeets. Each pair consists of a Blue Front male and a split Blue Front Female. So I need another couple of nest boxes into their aviaries for them and should get chicks fairly soon from them.

I am also hoping my pair of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos decide to breed this year. Hopefully I will be very busy hand raising babies this year.:thumbsup:

G

·
Wow, that does sound like you will be very busy this year with babies! :D

Oooh, feel free to send one of those future baby Blue Front Lorikeets my way! They are just stunning.

One of my friends recently got a female Princess Parrot (the blue mutation) and she will be getting a normal coloured male in December. She is also hoping to get some babies from them next season! :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Wow - you'll certainly be busy in the next month or two! I hope all goes well! Cockatoo babies are the cutest little porcupines :giggle:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Kelsey I am hoping Blue Fronts are still as popular as they have been. I got it wrong with the Blue Fronts. There is one Blue Front male and 3 split Blue Fronts. But I will still get some visuals. One of them comes from one of our top Avian Vets in Sydney and 2 come from a friend of mine whose baby conures I often look after. He is the one that got the pair of Hahn Macaws last year. The other comes from one of our other big Lorikeet breeders so they are great bloodlines. Both pairs are acting like they are ready to breed now. My friend had to free up space as he has just gotten a pair of Alex's, 1 pair of Suns and a male Sun, a pair of Eclectus Parrots and a pair of Jenday Conures. So he needed the room and it cost me 10kg of my Lorikeet Mix to get them. Pretty cheap.

The Princess's are a Blue male and a split blue female. She is a wonderful mother and a very sweet bird. If the pair of Blue's I have lay this year I will foster their eggs under the other as the Blue female keeps smashing her eggs, rotten thing.

Jenny you are right, I just love baby Cockatoos whether they be Galah's, Corella's or Sulphurs. They are just so delightfully spiky. I just love hand raising them.

I am just in the process of weaning 4 baby Rainbows that I have hand raised for a friend. Very advanced little babies as they went into a cage yesterday afternoon and withing a very short amount of time 3 were up on the perch and the oldest was getting into the container of dry mix I had put in the cage. So they are doing very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.