Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This toddler-size parrot was a prehistoric oddity!
The flightless 'squawkzilla' stood three feet tall and was twice the weight of the kakapo, the heaviest parrot alive today.

Article from National Geographic: New Zealand Prehistoric Parrot

Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dino-Birb Lover

Well .... aint he/she a looker! I don't know if I'd want to meet this birb in a dark alley!

As a true lover of dinosaurs (the selected topic of my Grade 7 Science Project!) I have a sweet fondness for the discovery of a large, prehistoric parrot -- a "Big Polly wants a cracker" Dino-Birb!

I mean, imagine this Squawkzilla being used as Fred Flintstone's answering machine -- funny as hell!

And here is this Dino-Birb's entrance theme song> [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iUQ6sta_c"]YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Looks like it may be closely related to keas? Would explain the prehistoric look too as they still look very unusual

Reactions: Sweet Parakeet

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kea: Close Relations?

Looks like it may be closely related to keas? Would explain the prehistoric look too as they still look very unusual

Yes, this was suggested by the article I linked, in my original comment. Plus, Wikipedia has more information about the Kea parrot to further connect the Kea with the prehistoric one. Wikipedia | Kea

Thank you for noticing the similarities, catalinadee. It's great that you joined the conversation! ❤️

1 - 5 of 5 Posts