Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ordered that colorful acrylic gym for Cricket but it still isn't here yet so we decided to make a pvc one because my bird owner idol, Jo Anne has at least 3 or 4 and one must try to keep up with the Jones right? So here is a pic of one we threw together yesterday. Tray is from collections, but i wish i would have went to the dollar store or my local variety store because they had bigger ones and cheaper too. Orange stuff is vet wrap because i didn't want to use glue and it covers the lettering on the pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Oh Shelly, you're so funny! Tee hee!

That's a great looking playstand and Cricket looks like the king of the world!!! They do need a variety of "stuff" -- toys, playstands, etc. to keep them busy and entertained!

Anything for our babies, right? GREAT WORK!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm very impressed. It looks great.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I love it too, I think this is what I will be making. What size Pvc piping are you using? How did you attach the gym to the tray? What kind of tape is the orange tape?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thank you

I used 1/2 pvc and under the tray is a thin peice of wood so there would be more to screw into. When i say I, i mean me and my DH. I dictated what i wanted while he cut and screwed it into the milmac tray. Then i washed everything and put it together with the vet wrap. I hope the pictures help. The last pic is the playgym i have on order. The orange wrap is called vet wrap and it is pretty cheap, i bought mine at the local vet for 1.50 and used less than a roll. But i bought more incase poop doesn't come off very easy. LOL It doesn't stick to the animals wound but it sticks to itself which makes it really handy. Plus it comes in lots of colors so you could really make it pretty. My vet only had orange and blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think it looks great! I made one but have never been very happy with mine. I use the one that I bought on ebay much more often.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
That's great!
When I just put stuff together for a play gym, I always fail...
That looks awesome.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Abby, i had the help of a handy hubby or it would never have come to be. LOL

·
Registered
993 Posts
HAha that acrylic one is the one I want to get tell me how Cricket likes it :)

Wow I wish I could make a gym so awesome too bad Im all thumbs

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Acrylic gym sold out....

So after waiting 3 weeks to get my playgym they said it was sold out today and everyplace i tried to find it was sold out as well, including the beloved persnickity parrot. Darn it! I think they said possibly in August. So look for it after that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Gosh! Wonder why they waited SO LONG to tell you it was sold out? I'll search around and see if I can come up with a site that has it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank Jo Anne you are a sweetie. Birdy boutique does carry it, i called them and they are sold out til August Kings is the maker and it they wont have any until August but i will try the other site you suggested! Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jessie,
I have one of those, and it is my favorite playgym for the senegal and smaller size birds. Even the senegal can use it, although she is the biggest bird I would put on it much. I CAN put the Maxi on it, too. She won't destroy it because she is very gentle, but she is too big to really do much on it except sit on the top shelf. Sometimes, though, that is better than not getting to be out.

My linnie is the cutest on it. She runs all over it like she is a fly running up and down walls or something. You will know what I mean because you have a linnie. Stanley, bourkes - so I'm assuming similar to your keets - loves the thing and will play on it for long periods of time, but she can't access it all because bourkes don't climb the way linnies and parrotlets do. Your keets might climb better than a bourkes, and if they do they will also be able to get to all of the levels. Shira, green cheek, likes it and uses all of it, too, but she is just enough bigger than the linnie and parrotlet that she can't do quite as many things on it - same with Roni, senegal. So I assume that would be similar to how your conure will use it. They still like it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I do like it for Shira, but green cheeks can play on anything. They are so athletic and their little feet hang tight. My turquoisine, whom we no longer have, (almost the same as a scarlet chested) played all over the whole thing too and really seemed to enjoy it.

I like it a lot, but that is me. I originally got it for my daughter, who was nine at the time, because kids like building it up, too. :giggle: Oh, and it is fun for adults, like tinker toys. I've often wondered if I got another one if we could make things with the two together.

Daisy,
I just noticed - this must have been my 2000th post. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Libby does fine on the acrylic playstand, but like nanay says, GCC's can play on anything!

I actually have THREE of them -- I only bought one, one came with Angelina when I adopted her, and the other was a gift!!

One is set up like you see in the picture on the various websites. I took the other two and "incorporated" them into a baker's rack in the bird room -- made a huge playstand out of them!
Here's a pic -- it sits in the corner, right next to Angelina's cage.

Reactions: Abby and nanay

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OK, Jo Anne, now you have ME wanting to keep up with the Jo Anne's ( aka Jones), too.

I'm going to have to get some more now - well, guess I'll be waiting until at least August. :rolleyes:

Naturally, I'll have to keep up with Shelly and make a PVC one at some point, too.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
LOL! Well, our babies can never have enough playstands, toys, and other goodies, right??? Tee hee!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.