Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I recently acquired a port Lincoln parrot - don’t know his history. He seems to behave strangely, mostly in the early evening by running side to side on his perch, with his wings slightly flapping and his head looking up. He almost seems like he’s in a trance and will walk right up to your face if next to the cage (something he never normally does). I thought he wanted to get out but does it when the cage is open! He does it at other times of the day and sometimes for up to an hour. Any ideas? Thanks, Malc

·
Super Moderator
6,138 Posts
Welcome to Talk Parrots, unfortunately I have no idea why your lovely birb is doing this odd dance. I've never heard of a PLP so I googled the lovely birb to find he almost looks like the typical colorful rainbow lorikeet.

I suppose you will find out what makes him tick over time ... all birds have some odd little quirk that makes us shake our heads in wonder. Please share with us when you know what your guy is up to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Talk Parrots, unfortunately I have no idea why your lovely birb is doing this odd dance. I've never heard of a PLP so I googled the lovely birb to find he almost looks like the typical colorful rainbow lorikeet.

I suppose you will find out what makes him tick over time ... all birds have some odd little quirk that makes us shake our heads in wonder. Please share with us when you know what your guy is up to.
Thanks for the quick reply. I was worried that it was some bad, learnt behaviour or that he was a little psychologically damaged from previous owner(s). 😳

·
Super Moderator
6,138 Posts
Can you share a little detail about your PLP? Is he a nectar drinker? What's his diet like? Is he slowly becoming interested in you and your attention?

Does he sing or make interesting calls? Why did you choose this interesting parrot to be your companion?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know nothing of his history but clearly isn’t 6 to 8 months (which is what I was told) as he has a repertoire of 4 particular sounds, very much like the setting of an alarm system in a home or a shop, as well the sound of a smoke alarm with low battery. He sometimes calls out with his natural call, but not very often.
He isn’t a nectar feeder normally but does love to chew on a few flowers. He eats normal parrot mix and some pellets but is happy to eat some human food from fingers through the cage.
Having said that, he won’t step up at all but isn’t afraid of people.
He isn’t showing any real interest in us when out of his cage and only takes food from us when he’s inside his cage. He doesn’t play with toys or chew anything either.
I’m starting to wonder whether he was one of a pair that were kept in a cage and is now suffering from some form of separation anxiety?
I’ve kept lots of budgies and cockatiels over the years and bought him to get him out of the awful pet shop.
Again, I welcome any thoughts or comments.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,138 Posts
I know nothing of his history but clearly isn’t 6 to 8 months (which is what I was told) as he has a repertoire of 4 particular sounds, very much like the setting of an alarm system in a home or a shop, as well the sound of a smoke alarm with low battery. He sometimes calls out with his natural call, but not very often.
He isn’t a nectar feeder normally but does love to chew on a few flowers. He eats normal parrot mix and some pellets but is happy to eat some human food from fingers through the cage.
Having said that, he won’t step up at all but isn’t afraid of people.
He isn’t showing any real interest in us when out of his cage and only takes food from us when he’s inside his cage. He doesn’t play with toys or chew anything either.
I’m starting to wonder whether he was one of a pair that were kept in a cage and is now suffering from some form of separation anxiety?
I’ve kept lots of budgies and cockatiels over the years and bought him to get him out of the awful pet shop.
Again, I welcome any thoughts or comments.
Thanks

He sounds interesting ... I think he will develop more as he gets use to you and your home. It takes time for a re-homed bird to adjust to the new house and sounds but mostly adjust to YOU and any other people in the house. He sounds like he's been through some things and he's not so trusting currently but that can change if you pay him tons of attention and talk up a storm to him.

I've rescued and re-homed a few birbs and found the unresponsive ones who seemed deeply troubled soon got over their issues when I placed their cages beside my desk and interacted with them all day. The more I talked to the bird the faster they learned to trust and eventually love.

I really hope you are able to reach this birds heart and you can give him the life he deserves. He will charm and love you in return.

It all takes time with these fickle little birbs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts