TalkParrots.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new here. I need help with making my bird love me again. So, every time I want to to take my bird out, it’s a struggle! He tries to bite me and get away. When I finally do get him,he flies back to his cage...
Here are some facts
1. He started being distant when I clipped his wings. He has never forgiven me.
2. He is terrified of my son who is 6 and tends to force him to come out and provokes him, which I never see him do.
3. I’ve tried treats but he won’t budge. He will eat out of my hand in his cage but that’s all.
4. He use to fly on my shoulder all the time but hasn’t for almost a year after I clipped his wings.

What should I do?!?!
I have a small portable cage and I was thinking to move him there because he is so attached to his bigger cage and flies there all the time. It’s his safe zone. I feel maybe he needs to get out of his comfort zone.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? Input? Thank you!!!

Cuddles is 2 years. He was very tamed as a baby (handfed) Now he is a brat! HELP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Talk Parrots ...

Trust is such a big issue with birds and if you break it then you have to start to win this back and it will feel like you are working with a brand new baby bird again. It's annoying but can be done.

You will need to spend a lot of time with your bird daily. More time then you can imagine. I would keep your son away from the bird while you try to re-bond daily so the bird sees that he is the focus and the only focus.

Offering food/treats daily and talking to the bird and moving your hand towards the door and OUT of the cage is a good start, try this slowly over a week or two. Praise the bird and talk to it encouraging the birds behavior especially if it responds .... excited chatter from you is really important because your bird knows you and knows he can make you happy when you play or reach out to him. So talk excitedly when he does something you like.

Is the bird molting currently? Has he had any medical issues lately? I know when my bird molts she wants nothing to do with me and will spend long time in her cage alone. I try to talk to her more, offer more veggies to help her during this harsh time ... I play music on the stereo daily and make the house a happy atmosphere to encourage her to come out.

I hope your bird will soon respond to you and your attention .... the key is ATTENTION ... you have to give as much attention you can possibly give the bird daily and start to win this trust once again.

Good luck ... I hope he comes around soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for this advice. I really will try my best to win his affection back with a lots of attention and treats. My bird is not really molting, just a few feathers here and there. And yes, I will keep my son away unfortunately during this time. I will keep you updated. Again, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello, I’m new here. I need help with making my bird love me again. So, every time I want to to take my bird out, it’s a struggle! He tries to bite me and get away. When I finally do get him,he flies back to his cage...
Here are some facts
1. He started being distant when I clipped his wings. He has never forgiven me.
2. He is terrified of my son who is 6 and tends to force him to come out and provokes him, which I never see him do.
3. I’ve tried treats but he won’t budge. He will eat out of my hand in his cage but that’s all.
4. He use to fly on my shoulder all the time but hasn’t for almost a year after I clipped his wings.

What should I do?!?!
I have a small portable cage and I was thinking to move him there because he is so attached to his bigger cage and flies there all the time. It’s his safe zone. I feel maybe he needs to get out of his comfort zone.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? Input? Thank you!!!

Cuddles is 2 years. He was very tamed as a baby (handfed) Now he is a brat! HELP!!

First of all stop your child from touching the bird. Secondly, why did you cut his wings? Leg them grow back. Take it slow like 5 minutes a day of offering him a treat. Mine loves nuts. Sit by his cage and talk or read an article to him. So he feels comfortable with you. A bird needs to feel safe. Then sit a few feet away with his treats and let him come to you. NEVER force a bird to do anything ir you will never earn his trust. It may take six months. Once a trust has been broken it takes time to earn it back. Your child must stay out of the picture during this time. Sorry but there's no other way.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with what the others have written. I'm worried though when I hear you call him a "brat".

One thing is for certain it's not his fault. Being mutilated by the one you're meant trust is hardly going to end up in a loving relationship, nor is a child interacting with him who doesn't have a clue how to do this gently and kindly going to engender any trust or bond with people.

Sun Conures are incredibly plucky happy little birds with huge hearts. Quite honestly yours sounds extremely depressed. Mostly they're happy to fly onto anyones arm, shoulder, head or hand for a treat even whole flocks of them and with complete strangers.

Never cut a birds wings, this is seriously ill advised. We shouldn't keep birds in cages at all never mind stopping them from flying by cutting their feathers. However allowing them to fly freely makes up for the cage thing somewhat. If you're terrified it will fly out a window and be gone for ever then rather don't get a bird. They need to fly for all the same reasons we need exercise and mental stimulation, so do they.

Children should never be allowed to play with birds unsupervised, they can be severely traumatise or damaged with inappropriate handling. As you are going to have to start right at the beginning again with him and you're not even sure how to do that, plus your child hasn't yet been taught how to interact in the appropriate manner maybe the best idea would be to find him a loving experience new home? One that is less likely to call him a brat and more likely to make up for the hurt he has been caused. That or get him a very much larger cage, avery style cage. Fill it with interesting things to play and hide in and get him a friend so they can be happy together without you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all stop your child from touching the bird. Secondly, why did you cut his wings? Leg them grow back. Take it slow like 5 minutes a day of offering him a treat. Mine loves nuts. Sit by his cage and talk or read an article to him. So he feels comfortable with you. A bird needs to feel safe. Then sit a few feet away with his treats and let him come to you. NEVER force a bird to do anything ir you will never earn his trust. It may take six months. Once a trust has been broken it takes time to earn it back. Your child must stay out of the picture during this time. Sorry but there's no other way.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Good luck
Yeah I am. I was told by the shop I bought him at you can to have him no fly away from you while you get him reacquainted. But it back fired thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts