Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there......hoping to get some advice from all you lovely birdy people. I've hand raised 6 small parrots as my pets.....lovebirds, lorikeets, budgies and a rosella. I picked up a new rainbow lorikeet chick from a breeder yesterday. About four weeks old now. The breeder has hand reared this baby since 2 weeks. I noticed when we got home that the chick seems to have the clicking sound while breathing...my suspicions are that food has entered her lungs at some point. She is very healthy alert actuve but being a worrier, I'm concerned that this may be a telltale sign of aspiration. This means she may have the potential to develop a fungal infection -is there anything I can do at this stage? Thanks so much for any help --we've named her Pixie. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would recommend a vet visit if that is a possibility. However, there will be some others who will recommend some things you can do at home, too.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If the bird has aspirated, s/he needs to go on a run of antibiotics to prevent him/her from developing pneumonia because of the food in the lungs :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jenny...thanks...I have some baytril....I suppose it wil be the same dosage as a budgie? Weekend now but will get her to the vet on Monday. Just as long as I know there is hope.....we're pretending she's a girl. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Nici,
My linnie is currently on baytril. She weighs 44 grams and the dosage is .06 2 X daily - if that means anything at all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks every one....I hope I'm not just overeacting....she is acting just fine..breathing normally..I just don't like that sound. Better be safe than sorry. As long as I know I can help rather than just wait for a "fungal infection or pnuemonia, then death" as the books say.....already very fond of her....or him.:)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hey, I'm sorry I can't help you much but some of my birds click when they breathe but once they have had a bath they're usually fine. Your bird us very young so they wouldn't be able to have a bath. As the others said, get her checked at a vet ASAP and let us know what happens/what is said. I hope she is okay :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Nanay....I just weighed her and it says she is 90grams! could that be right foar a four week old rainbow?...are Linnies really small? Going to give her some baytril so thanks for the dose rate information...hope your little one comes good too.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Can't help much, but I hope everything gets better.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I would go with a smaller dosage - better than over doing it. I used to remember the ratio for dosing birds but, alas, I can't recall... :( If you're going to the vet Monday, I'm sure your little one will be fine :thumbsup: When we had an aspiration at the Bird shop they went on a one week round of Baytril and were fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone thanks so much for your well wishes. Pixel(Pixie) is doing very well now....trip to the vet .....on the mend.:) A question for other lori raisers -- Pixie is doing something my other loris didn't. She does the seagull noise constantly whenever I handle her or when she hears my voice.... I am wondering why. She has a full crop and shows behaviors of comfort(preening yawning head bobbing tongue exploring) she LOVES getting head stroked and tickled..."..is she just excited to be interacting/close? It's so constant my husband leaves the room until I replace her in the brooder! My others only made it during feeding time. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have heard that Loris are prone to doing that, crying whenever someone is around. I know tiels are horrible for it lol. Every time I've been to a shop with hand-raised lories they do that all the time as long as you're near the cage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pixie is doing great...thought I should let readers know that the vet told me that baytril is not good for developing birds as it can compromise their bone growth! We put her on clavamox. By the way does anyone know the age when lorikeet chicks grow out of making the baby sounds? Thanks all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.