Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I don't think I've posted yet since I joined the other day.

Anyway, I went into a local chain pet store the other day getting some stuff for my rat when I wandered over to the birds. There was a sweetest little GCC in a cage looking down at me. He would rub his head on the bars and looked so cute. He was a bit over-priced at 399.99, but man was he a beautiful bird!

I really don't care for the teenage workers at this pet store. They're rough and careless with the animals. I cringe every time one particular worker tends to the ferrets. The ferrets are at her mercy as she grabs them up, their little bodies dangling. Then she helps customer while still holding them down at her side, their bodies swinging back and forth.

I don't know how they treat their birds here, seeing as every time I'm here no one is tending to them. I wish I could have gotten that little guy, though. He seemed like a really great bird. I'm not experienced with conures, and I don't know how loud they get. I've heard people say GCC's are quieter than most conures. My neighbors aren't too bad about noise, but I don't want to press my luck. I'd like to get a conure some day when my living situation is a little different. I just wish that time was now.

Oh well, I guess.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:welcome: to the forum! Birds really can steal your heart quick, h'uh? What kind of rats do you have? We have 4 at the house :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Aw, GCC are adorable :)
Petshops always seem to overprice animals. There was a GCC here in a petshop I love & he was $300 too.. then I see them on craigslist/kijiji for $150!

Thats too bad the teens working there are so rough :(
GCC are generally quieter than other conures (such as suns or jendays), but all conures are different & some can scream really loud ;)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Conures are overpriced at pet stores. At Petsmart, a Sun Conure costs $600. At the Bird Farm, it costs $350. Big difference there I think. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
GCC are known to be more quiet than other conures and they are really cute!

Welcome by the way!

And you will find most ferrets are picked up with their bodies dangling, it doesn't hurt them as they're really flexible. In fact the majority of people I know hold them like that when they're moving them around and stuff. Don't worry about them! They're fine :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have 4 rats. One big hairless rat, two medium fancy rats (they're sisters, we got them when they were so tiny they could both sleep in their food dish at the same time), and one large hooded rat we saved from being a "feeder." Rats make really great pets. In the summer we take the hooded rat out to the field where we walk our dog and put him in the grass. He's so cute the way he hops in the grass. He doesn't even wander off. As we walk away he runs after us and jumps up our pant leg.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's so cute!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I seen green cheeks at a pet store they were priced 999$ the tank they were in said amazon talk idiotic people.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Jeez. That's stupid

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have a green cheek conure. She is wonderful. She is not loud enough to be heard through a good set of apartment walls. Even if she were, she seldom vocalizes. I have seen someone post on another forum that her green cheek screams a lot, so the individual can be noisy, but as a rule they are not noisy. I highly recommend green cheek conures!!!
Are you currently birdless?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh okay, so they're not known to be noisy. I had some people tell me otherwise. There is one at a small, private pet store that never makes a peep. I could get her for a great price cage and all, but she was turned in by people that didn't want her and would probably need a lot of work to make her tame.

I'm not birdless, though. I have a budgie and a parrotlet. I've always had a soft spot for green cheeks though. I've wanted one for a few years. But I listened to a friend of my boyfriends who said they're loud, so I haven't yet taken the chance. :(

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
From what I've seen they're not loud :yesnod:

and cool about the budgie and parrotlet!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
They can develop screaming habits, like any parrot, and have the potential to be loud but most GCC don't and are quiet enough for an apartment :thumbsup:

Your rats sound cute! :lovehearts: We have 2 dumbo girls, a cream hood and a black hood, and 2 standard boys who are rescued feeders - one's a black hood the other is albino. They're all very sweet and friendly :D Two of them are starting to get really chubby now that they're 2 years old :giggle:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
There are MANY greencheek owners on this forum. Chime in guys, lol.

Tell us more about your birds, if you would.

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Libby, and she's the light of my life! A wonderful, cuddly, clowny, entertaining, smart bird!
She is not loud at all -- yes she talks, chirps, whistles, and does make noise, as all birds do, except stuffed ones!

I highly, highly recommend a Green Cheek Conure as a wonderful bird. I'm so happy she's a part of my life!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I hope that if you do get this bird that you show us a whole lotta pictures!Hehe. Are you still considering buying one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I am greatly considering getting a Green Cheek still. I think I'm going to be finishing up college from home this semester so I'm going to have lots of time on my hands for the next 5 months. Plenty of time to tame and train a bird :biggrin5:

Jenny, your rats sound adorable also. I would love to have a dumbo, but I haven't been able to find any. I also really love these siamese rats I saw recently. But I've already got my hands full with the 4 I already have.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Jenny, your rats sound adorable also. I would love to have a dumbo, but I haven't been able to find any. I also really love these siamese rats I saw recently. But I've already got my hands full with the 4 I already have.
My sister got her first two dumbos at PetCo? She got her third, who recently passed, from a breeder here in FL. Private breeders seem to be the way to go - she posts on a rat forum, but it's for the state. I'm sure you could find something online, when the time comes ;) The siamese rats are absolutely adorable! Have you seen the Husky colored rats? They're my favorites :giggle:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that I think of it, I think there is a rat lovers club in the area that I could get in touch with and ask about rats. I've never heard of the husky color, but I just looked them up and they cuuuute. The black ones with the diamond head remind me of a boston terrier.

I actually could have gotten a siamese rat about 8 months ago, but while we were waiting for someone to wait on us, we looked in the feeder tank. There was this sweet black hooded rat that we couldn't stand the thought of becoming snake food. So we brought him home instead. He rode home in my hair the whole way. We figured the Siamese rats wouldn't become food anyway.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yeah, that's why when my brother wanted rats I picked the hooded and an albino from the feeder bin - the fancy rats are not sold as feeders, so they're safe :) Funnily enough, tho, the feeder bin rats have had less problems than the dumbos from PetCo! I blame PetCo for not having quality breeders, more so than the fact that they're dumbos

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.