Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is their anyone that don't clip there birds wing feathers? I only do if I absolutely need to. But right now all mine are mostly flighted. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Currently the linnie is not clipped, and we will leave her flighted unless it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
That's how I'm starting to see it. It used to be really important to me to clip my birds' wings, but now, I don't mind. Like Nanay said, I don't really clip unless it becomes a problem in any way.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's how I'm starting to see it. It used to be really important to me to clip my birds' wings, but now, I don't mind. Like Nanay said, I don't really clip unless it becomes a problem in any way.
For me I like how they look flighted then clipped it make them look cooler. :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
All of my indoor birds are clipped to stop them from smacking into windows, obviously all of my outdoor birds are fully flighted. Do it if you think the birds will be best off that way. I personally don't like doing it because I feel guilty when I do but it's for the best seeing as we've got a lot of large mirrors and windows haha.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine are all left unclipped :) I only clip if I need to!

·
Registered
38 Posts
All of my indoor birds are clipped to stop them from smacking into windows, obviously all of my outdoor birds are fully flighted. Do it if you think the birds will be best off that way. I personally don't like doing it because I feel guilty when I do but it's for the best seeing as we've got a lot of large mirrors and windows haha.
I found my birds smacked into windows/mirrors/walls MORE when they were clipped. If something startles them into flight, they can't control where they go. I had some birdie injuries from this. Fully flighted they can maneuver properly and avoid knocking themselves out! Once they learn what mirrors and windows are, they don't fly into them - so I just make sure I show them the "invisible barriers" and then all is fine.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found my birds smacked into windows/mirrors/walls MORE when they were clipped. If something startles them into flight, they can't control where they go. I had some birdie injuries from this. Fully flighted they can maneuver properly and avoid knocking themselves out! Once they learn what mirrors and windows are, they don't fly into them - so I just make sure I show them the "invisible barriers" and then all is fine.
or when there clipped and try to fly and they hit the floor like a brick I like my flighted. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
or when there clipped and try to fly and they hit the floor like a brick I like my flighted. :)
Yes, that too! I had a couple young Linnies come to me overly clipped, they drop like rocks and ended up breaking most of the feathers off their tails from crashing so much :( I can't wait for them to grown their feathers back in

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that too! I had a couple young Linnies come to me overly clipped, they drop like rocks and ended up breaking most of the feathers off their tails from crashing so much :( I can't wait for them to grown their feathers back in
I got a budgies like 4-5 months ago and he was way over clipped and dropped like a brick and squeaked every time he fell now his flights are mostly back in. :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have never, and never will, clip any of my birds wings!

Shiro, one of the Cockatiels here, is disabled and can’t fly, he never will be able to again, whoever clipped his wings didn’t just clip them, they butchered his whole wing, I believe they cut right to the bone, and for this reason, I will not have my birds wings clipped. I have also had birds come to me with tacky clips (done so wrong), and one wing clipped.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Really? Mine are so much better without it! My birds can have safe landings and hardly ever crash, but none of mine have ever hit a window etc while clipped! May be I'll try leaving them next time. I used to have flighted birds but I did have one hit a window hard and I felt so sorry for it, so I wanted to make sure they didn't again, since then I've clipped. Only 4 of my birds are clipped as the others are in aviaries.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have never, and never will, clip any of my birds wings!

Shiro, one of the Cockatiels here, is disabled and can’t fly, he never will be able to again, whoever clipped his wings didn’t just clip them, they butchered his whole wing, I believe they cut right to the bone, and for this reason, I will not have my birds wings clipped. I have also had birds come to me with tacky clips (done so wrong), and one wing clipped.

That poor bird! How could they have done that? Seeing that now I can understand why you wouldn't want to clip :(

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oliver is fully flighted, and an excellent flier. Now that he knows the lay of the rooms, he goes in and out with no problems. I have counted up to 15 seconds where his has been in flight between his cage, the rooms, and back to his cage. He loves it.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's awesome! He's coming along well Bob :biggrin5:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.