Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a link to Twitter's (my Bourke Parakeet's) first MOVIE!! Peeper the Scarlet-Chested Parakeet can be seen in the background.

Someone let me know if you were able to view this! It may take a few seconds to load - it will say "Buffering..." in the lower left while it loads. Click on the photo to start it.

:photo::i.momo:

Reactions: Eliza

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ron, it loaded very well for me, it was fast!!! Twitter is sooooo adorable. I love how quickly they run, so funny:lovehearts:

Reactions: Twitter09

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It took me a while to figure out the link is the picture. It loaded easily.

Your birds are obviously very comfortable in their home and especially on the floor. Twitter is a darling, zipping all around. I wish Peeper had been more of a camera hog.

Reactions: Twitter09

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The birds

I've been letting Twitter and Peeper (my Scarlet Chested) play on the floor, since Peeper is moulting and doesn't fly well. I also think it's helping them to bond a little - group foraging or something - there's always plenty of spilled seed on the floor in front of their cages! (though I have to admit, neither are especially messy birds).

I'll try to take some movies of Twitter flying. She is a skilled flyer and really enjoys zipping around, especially in my 18 X 20 foot sunroom! She's very good at banking and even gliding - like a little macaw flying through the jungle. Twitter knows how to fly between her cage in the dining room through the kitchen to the sunroom. She usually goes back and forth, wherever I go. Peeper can fly down to the floor safely but has trouble getting any altitude. He used to fly better so I am guessing this is because of his moult. Peeper at least knows to jump on my finger now when he wants to come up and/or go back to his cage.

It was kind of cute today. I left them loose in the sunroom with the doves while I cleaned their cages inside. When I was done, both were waiting for me to open the door to the kitchen so they could come inside. Twitter flew in immediately once I opened the door. Poor Peeper was holding on to one of the finches cages, about 3 feet off the ground (as high as he could get). He just jumped on my finger when I offered it and "rode" in to his cage! It's amazing how quickly they learned where they lived - and even which cage is theirs. And for all the fun they have in the sunroom, they want to be with me if I come inside and they definitely want to get back to their cages for the evening. These keets are smarter than people might think! Although, maybe I should say birds are smart - since my doves know which is their own cage and always go back in on their own too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree they definately are smarter than we will ever know:biggrin5: I would love to see a video of twitter flying. :thumbsup:I do have a Question if you do mind,lol. How is peeper different from twitter personality wise. Do they get along well. Im just thinking I might like to eventually get floyd a buddy and am wondering what to get. I may or may not, but Im just curious as to what would work. I was thinking another bourke, or another grasskeet of some sort. Do bourkes bond as much together as other birds do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Twitter and Peeper

Kim,

Twitter is definitely not very bonded to Peeper, who is a Scarlet Chested Parakeet. If anything, she picks on him a little - or at least acts more dominant and chases him off me. And god forbid he goes in her cage by accident - she chases him right out!

I thought they would get along better since they are both grass parakeets and Twitter is female and Peeper is male. Maybe once Peeper is flying better they will be on more even ground. They do interact though, if I left them walk around on the floor unsupervised. So I'd say they are company but not real buddies. But I've heard that other people house Bourkes and Scarlet Chesteds together and there are no problems.

I have no experience with 2 Bourkes together so I don't know if they stay as tame and friendly, once they have each other. It's hard to imagine Twitter being less friendly though.

Whatever you get as a companion, I'd try and get a pre-tame or hand-raised bird so it doesn't make your current bird more timid. I don't know if that happens with Bourkes but I've seen it happen with other species of birds, where a new less tame one makes your formerly tame one more afraid.

You asked about Peeper's personality. He is much more timid and less forward than Twitter. But by hand-feeding him special treats, like cooked green peas or hemp seeds, he's gotten more comfortable with me. Now I just have to put my finger next to him and he steps up. He doesn't come to me very much on his own but once he's on my arm or shoulder, he makes the best of it. He tries to "preen" me and nibble at my clothes, eyeglasses or arm hair. He has never ever bitten. So he's gradually becoming more friendly. Twitter never really bites either but can sometimes nibble things, like my cuticles or nose, on the rough side. Twitter was similarly timid like Peeper but is now very much in your face kinda tame - like a complete personality change that happened about 3 months after I had her, with no warning. Both Twitter and Peeper were older babies (6 months or more old) when I got them so both needed to be re-tamed to some degree as they probably weren't handled that much after a certain age.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That Twitter... oh my goodness, she is SO precious! I love how fast her little legs move as she scampers about on the floor.

What a great video. Looking foward to one of her flying about, too!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Twitter is so cute, they do love the floors. I have two bourkes that live in the same cage and love each other. They are males and were hand raised and are still tame.
That is a good video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.