Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shrug:

I have recently acquired a pair of superb parrots from my parents, and would like to start breeding them.
I've never owned this type of parrot before, and have tried getting some background knowledge on these birds to try and make sure they are healthy and happy before I try and breed them, however, I have only been able to find broad information which hasn't been all too helpful.

The pair are outside birds, and currently don't have any nesting boxes in their cage, but have bred before.
Last time they were bred, the female had trouble with nesting and sat on the eggs for too long, which also resulted in foot problems.

I also have a cockatiel in the cage with the superb parrots, and aren't sure if I should take it out of the cage, and put it into a smaller one, if the pair are breeding or leave it.

Just wondering if anyone has any background knowledge with these birds and if they could help me out.
Also, any information on caring for Superb Parrots would be greatly appreciated too :)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't have any information, but there are some breeders from Australia who frequent the site who always offer great information.

Those birds are beautiful. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Serenityy. Firstly I don't understand what you mean by the hen sat too long on the eggs and who had the foot problems. A hen will only sit on the eggs for as long as it takes to hatch all the eggs. Even when chicks are present she still needs to sit on them to keep them warm. If the eggs cool down they will not hatch as the chicks will die in the shell. If the chick cool down it will cause kidney problems and the chicks will probably not live long enough to fledge. She will sit with them less and less as they develop down and feathers. Baby birds like all babies cannot regulate their own body temperature and require heat from either their mother or if taken from the parents they will require it from a brooder.

If the foot problems were with the chicks it sounds like there was insufficient nesting material in the nest box and the babies were too close to the hard wooden base and did not have sufficient softness underneath them. They require a reasonably large box and have at least 2 to 3 inches of nesting material under them. I use Eucalyptus Mulch obtained from a nursery or a large supermarket that has a gardening section. This is very close to what they would have in the nesting hollow in the wild as they usually nest in Gum Trees.

I would take the Cockatiel out of the aviary as it could interfere with the breeding of the Superbs. Also the Superbs may get aggressive with him.

Superbs are no different in their care than other birds. Make sure they have enough food and clean water. The water is very important as you don't want them or the babies to dehydrate. The mother may also dip her breast in the water to help keep up the humidity in the nest and keep the eggs moist so that the embryos do not dry out in the egg and can rotate freely. If the eggs dry out the babies will not be able to turn and will get stuck in the shell when they try to hatch. Give them fruit and vegetables especially whilst they are breeding and feeding the babies and also give them soft food like egg and biscuit when they are feeding the babies.

If the pair are experienced breeders they should have no problems raising their babies successfully and you should not have to step in. If you do have to step in make sure you have hand raising mix and the equipment on hand including a thermometer and a specially bent spoon to feed with. These spoons can be obtained from a bird shop. They are manufactured by Vetafarm and are the correct shape. The thermometer can be obtained from a kitchen supplies shop. They are not very expensive and are usually used for testing the temperature of the frothed milk for Latte's etc. You can get ones from the pet shop but they are usually alot more expensive and are exactly the same as the food ones. With the food it should be fed at a temperature of at least 40C. Most of my birds though like it at about 45C. This is only when feeding with a spoon and not with a syringe or crop needle. I would not suggest using a crop needle unless you have used one before as they can be very dangerous if used incorrectly. A syringe can also be dangerous if you feed too quickly as the baby could get the food down into the lungs instead of the crop and this will kill them.

Good luck with your birds. Superbs are really lovely birds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a pair that I hope to breed for the first time. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for when it come to the hen. I know what behavior the male does but I cant find any info for my girl... Its so hard finding anything on them
I have the box, egg food , fresh fruit and veggies every other day and so on . I just need to know what to look for info wise any help would be great
Thank you

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That was a brilliant post Kate, very knowledgeable.

my4turtles, what do you mean by what you're looking for in a hen. Do you mean like how to know when she's ready to breed etc?

·
Registered
887 Posts
You may not see any behaviour at all. Some birds can be very secretive when it comes to mating. I had breeding Lorikeets inside and could see them at any time during the day and night and never once caught them mating, and I know they did as I had babies. You may see the male doing some form of mating behaviour, after all they are males they can be shameless. In all the years I have been keeping the larger parrots I have very very rarely seen them mating. Usually don't even see mating behaviour as they are a bit private about it. I have heard them but by the time I have come to the front of the aviary they have stopped. Of course this doesn't apply to all birds particularly Cockatiels as they will mate at the drop of a hat.

You don't say where you are. If you are in Australia it is too late in the season now for them to breed. It is far too hot. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere it is probably a bit too early for them to breed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes sorry i did mean Im mating behavior,, the male has been bouncing his head at her and trying to get her attenthion. But yesterday she started to get very vocal and would come to the front of the cage more and closer to him.. like she wants him to notice she is there haha... im in California USA

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just noticed this morning the hen in and out the nest box so i hope this is a good sign. As soon as i went to open the cage to do some cleaning she ran right into the nest box. I did get a chance to check it and as yet no eggs:(... But im keeping my fingers X this is all good. I have never seen her in there before or even have interest in it before.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh I never knew that! My kakarikis really share the incubation and stuff :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
aww well good luck I remember when my budgies were babies the father used to stand look out poke his head in once in awhile and the mother would yell at him for it

·
Registered
85 Posts
omg

:shrug:

I have recently acquired a pair of superb parrots from my parents, and would like to start breeding them.
I've never owned this type of parrot before, and have tried getting some background knowledge on these birds to try and make sure they are healthy and happy before I try and breed them, however, I have only been able to find broad information which hasn't been all too helpful.

The pair are outside birds, and currently don't have any nesting boxes in their cage, but have bred before.
Last time they were bred, the female had trouble with nesting and sat on the eggs for too long, which also resulted in foot problems.

I also have a cockatiel in the cage with the superb parrots, and aren't sure if I should take it out of the cage, and put it into a smaller one, if the pair are breeding or leave it.

Just wondering if anyone has any background knowledge with these birds and if they could help me out.
Also, any information on caring for Superb Parrots would be greatly appreciated too :)

Thanks guys.
puut pressure where they are bleeding they cant loose alot of blood they alsoo have this blood stopper at the pet store go get some

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.