Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw 2 vasa parrots at a bird store recently and they are pretty amazing looking. i looked for info online about them but they are not that common so i was hoping someone on here has some first hand knowledge on them. i'm tempted to go back and give them a longer look because they are the first birds that my husband has actually shown interest in. so what can any of you tell me about them? i'm really hoping someone on here owns one or has been around one enough to form some sort of opinion on them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
From what I have seen they're pretty nice, friendly birds. They're pretty big as you may have noticed too. If you look around on youtube you see a lot of them have a good vocabulary and are pretty hands on. I don't have first hand experience but I know I'd like one when I move out haha!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, from what I can tell they seem nice. I can't believe you don't have one yet, you have so many different birds. I'll have to check out YouTube.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have never owned one, nor even held one, but I did observe one in the store for some time. It seemed sweet. I do think that they eat meat, so I don't know what differences would be required in their diets. Also, I believe you have to watch them around little birds because of that. I could be wrong, but I think that is right.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I believe that they do nanay. I have heard that. Same as Keas. I once had a nasty bite off a kea. Was not fun. Such big curved beaks.

And although I have a silly amount of birds they seem pretty uncommon over here, but I have seen one for sale recently for only around £400 so I'm definately going to consider buying one in the future. They're really great!

I have seen videos on youtube of a vasa parrot with an amazon parrot, so it seems okay with it, but I wouldn't trust a meat eating parrot around my others haha!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Hmm...Never heard of these "Vasa Parrots" before.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I think they're gorgeous and very unusual. I'd love to handle one so I'd get to know them. I really like them xD!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I want to be able to handle a large variety of birds, whether I own them or not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I may go and give them another look. The fact that my husband thinks they are interesting is shocking to me.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Have another look then! They're very unusual and beautiful!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to see them again and only the female was left. I held her and she was adorable but I really think she's more bird than my husband can handle. No matter what I get I would want to see how he is with it before I get it. She was a sweetie though.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That is fair enough

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.