Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Bottles to Dishes

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  tilly 
#1 ·
What do you use... a bottle or a bowl/dish for your Fids water source?

I was looking into getting a bottle for our CAG and was curious to what you all use? (and what type of parrot uses it)

thanks!!!

#3 ·
My budgies and tiels have dishes. However Kayto has a bottle AND a dish. He mostly just uses his dish to bathe in, and his bottle to drink out of.

It really depends on the bird, some birds take to the bottle really fast, others don't. Kayto was trained to the bottle while he was still at the breeder so it was no work for me. I imagine it would be easier the younger the bird though.

If you do go for a bottle make sure you go for a good glass one and make sure to buy the cleaning accesories to clean the metal part so bacteria doesn't grow.

#4 ·
Bowl....sorry i couldnt help but here is an article from the internet.

"Switching your bird is very easy. After all, hamsters drink from a bottle and we all know that birds are much more intelligent than hamsters. It is my theory that birds are able to smell water. Simply showing birds where the bottle is in the cage will be enough to get them to switch. Just tap the little ball on the end of the drinker when your bird is watching. The noise and bubbles will make your bird curious. When your bird beaks the ball, water will come out and your bird will immediately be on a bottle. If not, then remove the water dish in the morning. In the evening offer your bird water in a dish. If your bird does not drink form the dish, then it probably drank from the bottle during the day. If it does drink from the dish then it likely did not drink from the bottle during the day. Repeat demonstrating the bottle to your bird until you are comfortable that your bird is drinking during the day. Nearly all birds will drink during the first day.

The bottle must be changed every day. The bottle and tube need to be scrubbed and disinfected daily.

One of the most often concerns expressed is that 'My bird likes to wet its food'. No problem. Birds can still wet its food with the bottled. Candy, our resident Congo African grey nearly always wets her pellets and treats. She simply gets the food in her beak and then drinks from the bottle.

There is no reason not to put your bird on a bottle."

#6 ·
Niblet also likes to drink when he eats. I must change his water six times a day or more because he also leaves some food in the water. Both he and Millie drink from a dish. I had a water bottle but it leaked :( I clean everything with either ACV or GSE. I really like the GSE because there isn't any smell and I don't have to leave it on as long as the ACV.

#7 ·
All my budgies drink from upside down water bottles the ones with the opening at the bottom? I'm not sure what they are called lol

The water stays clean but I still change it everyday. They also have a bath that they drink water from as well..that one sure gets dirty! They bathe and drink from it dirty silly budgies..

#11 ·
I have used both but I use glass bottles now. They do get a shallow dish of water to play in usually once a week. My Green Cheek likes to dunk all of her food into the bowl if I use one though, and it ends up a gross sloppy mess within a matter of hours. She likes to rehydrate her dehydrated fruit. Then on top of that she tends to jump into it, and for a long time we had issues with ear infections because she kept getting fruit soup in her ears. Since switching to bottles, we have not had a problem. Just don't get the cheapy ones. They tend to have issues with leakage and the ball getting stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.