Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes she is lovely. We got her a larger cage today and she is settling in fine. I have had to move perches even closer than I first placed them. She fell once already. Her feet have a weak grip. She loves millet and dry roasted peanuts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
She is beautiful :)
Congrats, more pictures? ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nanna is doing better after 48 hours. Eating more and drinking now. She cut loose today with some vocalizations, WOW! So much louder than the Senegal we had.
Much Louder... She only did it once and we all stopped, the other birds stopped hollering too! I put in mostly rope perches for her and she gets around better now. I gave her a "bath" this morning. She was not interested or impressed, but allowed me to drizzle water over her and wrap her in a small cloth for a minute. She is starting to preen more often today. I don't have any better pics than the one I posted, more soon I hope! She is an amazing bird. I have been bringing my other birds to her cage and introducing them. She listens and looks at them then back at me. She has been around several blocks, very smart ole girl. I wanted a younger one I have been looking at and everytime I go in the shop he perks right up for me but!, Nanna is my baby girl now and I am glad I got her!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yes she is lovely. We got her a larger cage today and she is settling in fine. I have had to move perches even closer than I first placed them. She fell once already. Her feet have a weak grip. She loves millet and dry roasted peanuts.
Get quite a few diverse types of perches for her - some thicker, some thinner, with varied textures. Make sure they all have rough bark, or like the rope, have ridges she can grip with her toenails, and it will help strengthen her feet :thumbsup: Pionus are like amazons, perch potatoes and a little lazy, so she won't be exercising much climbing cage bars, more likely than not! :giggle: Our Pionus just chills in a few spots in her cage all day, doesn't really get active till sunset!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nanna's toes do not curl around very well and most of her toe nails grow straight not curved. I have 3 different size rope perches for her and 2 natural branch perches for her. She also has a wood slice handicap perch. She is so thin right now. I hope she will gain some weight. She is eating well and her poops are looking good. She let me give her scritches for a long time this morning. She makes her wants known very well. She was in a cage in an out building for years and not given alot of loving but likes the attention I'm giving her. Thank you for your support every one!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is looking better. she climbed out of her cage tonight and up she went to the top. Ok I held my hands under her she looked a little shaky. When she was done hanging out she climbed back down and in with out me knowing it and did it well. We have a rope perch up there for her right now.
We are going to mount a play top from another cage up there for her so she will have food and water while shes up there. The fattening up process begins!
She is getting comfortable enough to push my finger away if she doesn't want scritches. So gentle for a large beak.
I am beginning to love her smell. Its a mix of baby powder and flowers! Not the cuddliest bird, but so lovable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That smell sounds wonderful!:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! She had a shower this morning and acted like it was an okay thing to do. I wish I knew more about her life. She is so tolerant. She acts like she knows I'm helping her. She is more alert and active today so everyday has been better.
Here is a picture from a phone camera the day we brought her home.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm happy you are happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.