Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We welcomed a beautiful new Alexandrine to our flock recently. Geraldine is 6 years old and comes from Macaw & Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico. She is a very special, intelligent parrot. We had hopes that she and ELF (our first Alexandrine) might become buddies, but weren't sure because ELF has always been afraid of other birds. I'll let the photos and video tell the story. These two keep me very busy making foot toys, and keeping their supply of wood and toys coming constantly. They seriously play and eat all day long! LOL

Geraldine on a road trip with the rescue:

Geraldine her first day home:

Here's a photo of ELF playing by himself:

Geraldine making herself at home LOL:

Geraldine and ELF meet for the first time:

Here you can see how enthusiastic she is playing:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHPCw38rRg"]YouTube - ‪Geraldine and Paper‬‏[/nomedia]

And here is video of ELF & Geraldine sharing a favorite toy today:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfHy5xATM8"]YouTube - ‪Fun with a Jillian's Bird Toy‬‏[/nomedia]

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ELF was our only bird without a buddy, and it's so magical to watch these two and see him so happy. He was a very happy birdie before, but we see that Geraldine and he can enrich one another's life like a human cannot. We were incredibly happy and surprised that ELF immediately recognized Geraldine as his own kind, and took to her immediately, despite disliking interacting with the rest of our flock. :lovehearts:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Geraldine and ELF are stunning, beautiful birds! And, thanks to you, they will have a wonderful life together!

Thanks for sharing! They are beautiful!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Their first meeting looks to have gone extremely well. You can tell they are completely relaxed in each others company as they are not pinning their eyes. It is so easy to tell with Alex's when they are upset as the pupil of their eye nearly completely disappears.

Elf is obviously only a youngster as he is just getting his neck ring. He will be a stunner when it comes in fully.

It is the female Alex that rules the roost in their household. She is the one who instigates breeding readiness. They are one of main loves of my life. They are just such great birds. I love my babies.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jo Anne & Kate! Kate, you are right that they do enjoy one another very much. They're still getting to know one another better, and play and eat nicely together. I have no wishes to breed, and they are housed separately, but spend their time together outside of their cages throughout the day. ELF is definitely younger, he's 2 1/2 and overdue for his next molt. We see a few pink feathers on the back...can't wait for the rest to come in. They are absolutely delightful parrots!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sounds like everyone benefitted here. Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for adopting :D

you have some beautiful birds!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
How beautiful! It's great you took on a rescue bird. I'll need to do that sometime.

·
Registered
993 Posts
your new edition is gorgeous im glad there getting on so well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.