Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A larger macaw (blue &gold variety ect), Mini macaw, and the Hybrid macaws?

I know theres a difference in sizes but what else differs?

Even though I am after a military macaw about which type of macaw would be the ideal one that would be better to start off with for my 1st parrot?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Tressa,
I don't have a macaw, mini or otherwise, but you might want to check out the mini macaws as an option. They might be easier to house.
There are several macaw owners who sometimes post on here.
I would say, though, that if you have your heart set on a military, visit with more than one and spend a lot of time with them to make sure one is for you. A macaw is a huge responsibility, but if the military is what you really want, you should get what you want not something that will always seem second choice to you.
If you can, also visit with Hahn's macaws, severe macaws, illigers macaws, or any other mini macaw you can visit. Also, if you can, visit with the larger macaws, too.
Red fronted macaws and blue throated macaws are other large macaws that are similar in size to a military.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Personality wise? Minis aren't much different than the standards, they're just a little easier to manage due to their size. A Hahn's is much less intimidating than a Military :giggle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say before you get a full size macaw start off with a Hahn's so you can get used to a bigger bird then work your way up. Because you may think its a good idea but just wait.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say before you get a full size macaw start off with a Hahn's so you can get used to a bigger bird then work your way up. Because you may think its a good idea but just wait.
alright and that would be in the NEAR future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.