Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know what she was looking at lol

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes shes a female pearl cockatiel. tsuka (in my siggy) is a male pearl... but they lose the speckles and look like normal greys lol. females keep the speckles

ill get a back shot for you :)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ok comparison between a male pearl and female pearl :)

and individual shots
tsuka being cute

and dally

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If I recall, the only way to really visually tell a male pearl is they still have some pearling near their tail on the back and vent

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks :) she takes good photos when i want good photography :)

and jenny, they do keep "ghost" pearls on their backs, you can see tsuka's. they have mottling at the base of their tailfeathers. split pearls may show the ghosting, but not the mottling. so in a way, you are right :)

sure fire way of telling--if they had pearls when you got him and suddenly theyre gone LOL tsuka had way more than he has now when we got him, but they were nearly gone at that point. ill dig out the first photos ive had of tsuka... warning, he was in pretty rough shape lol we rescued him from a pretty sucky situation.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these were the photos the lady sent us before we got him. shared a 20x20x24 cage with his parents and they plucked him, they had no toys or cuttlebone, rusty cage, and they were very heavy smokers :(

and when we got him home
he had a big bald spot on his head, a sparse crest, and he has molting problems in that sore wing now and we have to monitor those as he also does get feather cysts and other abnormalities with that wing (we highly suspect bad breeding and smoking)

but see how many pearls he had then lol

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
definately the same bird lol unless someone kidnapped tsuka and replaced him with this cuddle monster LOL

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Too cool! I always had a hard time explaining that to customers at the bird shop. Just because your newly weaned baby tiel is a pretty pearl now doesn't mean he's gonna keep it if he is a "he" lol

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah LOL females keep the pearls... males dont... but thats why you go for personality lol go for the personality you like best and you wont ever be disappointed lol

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
That's how I picked my conure... all the babies were biting like crazy.. mine flew onto the floor and I pickked him up and held himclose... he didn't bite me... I told the breeder .. this ones not biting me... I'll take him!!...lol

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
when i picked dally up, i went to the breeder and she had picked dally out for me as she said she was the calmest and most friendly one she had at the time. she had other handfed tiel babies too and i could have picked any one i wanted. but she put dally on my hand and she just sat there looking at me. something panicked all the birds and the others went nuts and flew to the back of the cage. no, dally stayed on my hand without even doing skinny bird. i definately wanted her lol. and to this day shes the most laid back, gentle creature ive ever met. wont hurt a fly. and is super bonded to me too

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I love that story about Dally.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
me too. the one bird we didnt rescue :)

·
Super Moderator
17,670 Posts