Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering :)

I feed my birds fresh stuff in the morning, and dry mix for the rest of the day. During winter/autumn when the weather is very chilly, I give them a bit more seeds and I usually heat up their veggies.

I sometimes feed sprouts, but I always forget to make them! Ahh! I think I'll soak them tonight.. lol

Egg I give them once or twice a month. Seed mix, 3-4 times a week, veggies daily(I try to, sometimes I get really busy and forget to).

It's probably very controversial that I feed no pellets but I have my reasons. Not going to go into that debate today..

Dry mix includes:

Hulled buckwheat
White quinoa 1/3 cup
Pearl barley 1/3 cup(barley that has been slightly polished, all I could find, it's really similar to normal barley)
Rolled oats 1/3 cup

Pumpkin seed 1/3 cup
Sesame seed 1/3 cup
Chia seed 1/3 cup
Flax seed 1/3 cup

Raw cashew approximately 1 tbsp
Raw almond approximately 1 tbsp
Pine nut approximately 1 tbsp
(Nuts are a minor part due to high fat content. It's still really healthy though as a small part of the diet)

Herb mix 2-3 tbsp(alfalfa, comfrey, oats, rosemary, ginseng, cayenne, sutherlandia)
Flowers 2-3 tbsp(marigold, rose hips, hibiscus, red clover, blue cornflowers)

As you can tell, this mix includes a wide variety of ingredients(22 ingredients). I supplement with a lot of veggies so they still get essential nutrients, and I take them out in the sun whenever possible for mental stimulation and for vitamin D.

I'm curious to hear what your guys eat :)

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
Just wondering :)

I feed my birds fresh stuff in the morning, and dry mix for the rest of the day. During winter/autumn when the weather is very chilly, I give them a bit more seeds and I usually heat up their veggies.

I sometimes feed sprouts, but I always forget to make them! Ahh! I think I'll soak them tonight.. lol

Egg I give them once or twice a month. Seed mix, 3-4 times a week, veggies daily(I try to, sometimes I get really busy and forget to).

It's probably very controversial that I feed no pellets but I have my reasons. Not going to go into that debate today..

Dry mix includes:

Hulled buckwheat
White quinoa 1/3 cup
Pearl barley 1/3 cup(barley that has been slightly polished, all I could find, it's really similar to normal barley)
Rolled oats 1/3 cup

Pumpkin seed 1/3 cup
Sesame seed 1/3 cup
Chia seed 1/3 cup
Flax seed 1/3 cup

Raw cashew approximately 1 tbsp
Raw almond approximately 1 tbsp
Pine nut approximately 1 tbsp
(Nuts are a minor part due to high fat content. It's still really healthy though as a small part of the diet)

Herb mix 2-3 tbsp(alfalfa, comfrey, oats, rosemary, ginseng, cayenne, sutherlandia)
Flowers 2-3 tbsp(marigold, rose hips, hibiscus, red clover, blue cornflowers)

As you can tell, this mix includes a wide variety of ingredients(22 ingredients). I supplement with a lot of veggies so they still get essential nutrients, and I take them out in the sun whenever possible for mental stimulation and for vitamin D.

I'm curious to hear what your guys eat :)

That's a really amazing and intense diet for your birds ... they are very lucky to have you spoiling them with amazing fruits veggies seeds and even sprouted seeds.

My Banana budgie likes to eat seeds and pellets and gets fresh veggies daily. Once in a while in the winter time I give her hard boiled egg with some quinoa and broccoli tips and fresh grated carrot in the mixture. She loves this treat!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts