Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Maxx is 12 weeks old, he has a nice bright red lower chest, has some pink on his upper body, some red over his beak and a bit of red on his cheeks. Is this the color he will stay? When do they stop coloring up. I have seen some very young yellow sided's who had lots of red on their cheeks and upper body. Will Maxx color up more? He is quite adorable as he is, I was just wondering if they change much as they mature. His colors now.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I can share pics of my Melon. She's 3yrs old. Her colors were what they were by one yr old. I can't really speak for others.....seems most birds get the full colors by one.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Shira, pineapple, has gotten a bit more red or pink as she has aged, but not much more. I didn't even notice it, but when I took her to the bird store for a nail trim the other day, the workers at the store noticed that she had a little more red/pink on her face. Other than that, she hasn't changed much, and she is now just a month over a year old.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic, so at 12 weeks, I can expect to see more color out of him. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Libby was a year old this past February, and she had molted once, late last year, by then. I think her color deepened a bit with the molt. I would guess by one year they have their full color.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Agreed with the others above. You'll have to post a picture when he gets to a year old and compare it haha!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don"t have a photo yet, but Shira is molting again and low and behold she is coloring in with even more red than before. I am quite shocked. I didn't think she would change at this age. She is 17 months old. She is now redder on her upper chest. Her feathers there are yellow with really red tips. Previously, they were yellow with pinkish tips. She also has more red on her head, and the patch behind her eyes is very pink now, where it used to look creamy. Additionally, her shoulders are now a bright orange mixed with yellow.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Aren't they beautiful! :lovehearts:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yeah I think it might depend on what the bird was eating during the molt. Cockatiels sometimes get it, why not gccs!?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.