Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Jan.1 (my birthday), I bought a Scarlet Chested Parakeet. I only took him home, as I wanted to bond with him, and I thought that getting both at the same time would not be good for the bonding process.

I now want the hen, she is older than the 4 month old male, but they have shared a cage for the 2 months he has been away from his breeding parents.

Is this a good choice? I won't be able to pick her up for another 6 week, end of Feb., and hopefully she will still be available. I just want my Scarlet Chested to have the best life. When is it best for him to have a mate?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
It doesn't really matter how old he is etc when he has a mate, just don't provide them with the opportunity to breed unless you really want to breed them. I leave my birds for around 12 months before I allow them to breed. Please also not that your bird may bond with the hen and not want to spend much time with you. It's completely your choice what you do with them. If you want to breed them perhaps start making him an aviary or buy a breeding cage? But as I said, I'd wait a bit for them to breed if you do

·
Registered
38 Posts
At least you know he already gets along with this hen. If you don't bring her home until late Feb, that gives you lots of time to bond with Oliver first.

Have you talked to the breeder about seeing if they can hold her for you until you ready? You may have to give a deposit.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got an email from the breeder. She said the hen had a plastic band on. Which means it was not one of her birds. She didn't know how old she was. The ones she takes in from rescues, etc.. get a plastic band. I don't know now if I will get her or not. It would be nice to have some sort of info. Like how old she is. I will check with her the end of Feb, and see if she is still there.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's cool! I hope if you do get her you enjoy her and so does Oliver hehe!

Have you considered breeding them?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's great :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.