Softy - Budgie
Speckles - Budgie
Splash - Budgie
Sunny - Budgie
Tweetster - Budgie
****** - Budgie
2 Zebra Finches
2 Spice Finches

My five originals I'm keeping and Banjo,Elle,Speckles,Dilly I'm downsizing by allot.
Who else should I keep?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think downsizing might be a good idea for you, from what you've said in your posts, and realizing that and making the decision proves you're a good pet owner. We all make mistakes, but recognizing them and correcting them proves you care for your animals and want to make things right. 36 birds (if I'm counting right) is A LOT. I would find good homes for most of them - keep your 5 budgies, maybe one or two tiels, and maybe one or two lovies? I have 7 birds, and I feel overwhelmed sometimes, I can't imagine so many! Keep one or two of each bird type, so you still have a variety, but not so many mouths to feed or cages to clean

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might sell
Cotton
Pickles
Freckles
Keke
Apple
And maybe the zebras
though I really don't want to sell breeder birds. :(
though my allergies ain't getting better.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Juliafan,
I know this is a hard decision for you.
I am sorry to hear about Bubbles.
First, you might consider your allergies. Do you find that the cockatiels bother you moreso than the other birds? If you do, it might be better to rehome the cockatiels first and then see how it goes from there.
However, it is possible that the cockatiels are not bothering you more than the other birds. If they are not, then there is no reason to rehome all of them unless you prefer the other birds over the cockatiels.
You have mentioned that you already plan to keep your five originals and four other budgies. May I inquire who the five originals are?
You are going to feel like you want to make a quick decision, but, unless you feel the other birds are in immediate danger because of living with you, I would suggest that you take a little time to consider. You can always rehome at any time.
Some downsizing might help you to enjoy the birds you keep even more, and it should help ensure that you don't make an oversight like that again, too. I know this was not intentional.
I feed in a routine, in the same order every day. If I don't, I will forget someone, too, because I have so many birds. Another option for you would be to keep a chart and mark off each cage when it is finished.
Last week I came soooooooooooooooo close to killing my wonderful little greencheek, Shira, and I am still kicking myself about it. She is the only bird whose cage I have to open to feed her. I am planning to get another cage as soon as possible so that I can feed her again without opening the cage door. She climbed out and got on the floor. I didn't know it. Both my daughter and I were walking all around the room never looking at the floor. I was getting into the grey's cage and out of the bottom of my eye I saw this animal run at my foot. It had a pointy face and a long tail, and it came from out from under my bed. My first thought was that it was a rat! :yikes: We do NOT have any pet rodents. When I realized it was Shira, I was overwhelmed with guilt and fear that either of us could easily have crushed her under our feet. I have tried to purposefully concentrate now when I feed her to make sure I don't inadvertently let her out of the cage again, and yet today, when I went to take her out of her cage for some play time, I discovered that this morning while feeding I had neglected to put back the pole that keeps her large front door shut. She hadn't pushed the door open and let herself out, but she easily could have.
You got your birds because you thought you could provide well for them and you would enjoy them. You had pure motives. If you have now discovered that you have too many birds to provide for them as you would like to, there is no shame in rehoming as many as you need to in order to provide well both for the ones you keep and the ones you have found new homes for. I simply think you should move a little slowly until you are comfortable that you can care well for the ones you keep. You only really need to find homes for any birds you cannot care well for as well as any birds who might be making you ill.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I don't know who you should keep as it's not really my say but I've got loads of birds and it is difficult at times to care for everybody but I do manage to do it with so much work.
Rehome whoever you want to! Make sure they go to good homes and put loads of effort into caring for your others :biggrin5:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Coming from someone that has quite a few birds myself, I find it can be overwhelming sometimes, especially if you are the only one that does everything for the birds (or are the main caregiver).

I have 7 Cockatiels, 6 Budgies, 2 Green Cheek Conures, and an Indian Ringneck that are mine, that is 16 birds in total (not including 5 of 6 baby Cockatiels who aren’t here permanently) — then, I also care for my mum’s 3 Cockatiels, and her Quaker Parrot. I, like nanay, have a set routine for my birds, which makes things easier.

I think you should downsize to the amount of birds YOU feel comfortable having, and that you can provide for, this means vets, food, toys, cages, one-on-one time with each bird, out of cage time, and etc. It will take a lot of weight off of your shoulders, and you won’t be stressed about not being able to care for so many birds.

I also agree with not rushing into re-homing them so quick, this is something that you should really think long and hard about, especially having to pick who will be re-homed. It is extremely hard, and I am so sorry you are having to do this, but in the end, you are doing what you think is best for not only yourself, and your health, but the birds too, and no one can say different, the birds know how much you love them, so remember that too!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think downsizing is also a great idea. i can't imagine 36 birds. I have only 1, and I feel guilty if I can't give him all my love. Keep the ones you want, share the rest with other bird lovers. i am sure they will find great homes. You have BEAUTIFUL birds, let others enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Bob I only have 3 in the house but I have 50 something in total :lol: I've got a lot of breeders and large aviaries so they get all the space they need. They get tons of food. They do really well! I like having so many, it gives me something to as a hobby really

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I really dislike rehoming birds, I only do if I really have to, or if they're young that I wont be keeping. Other people can do it obviously I'm just saying I hate doing it :p are you still going to consider rehoming your budgies Abby?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bet its heart breaking to see them go :(
For me its not always heart breaking when I rehomed the 6 tiels they all went together to the same person and she already had tiels and budgies and lovebirds.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I would find it very heartbreaking. I think I like having fewer amounts of birds because I can really get close to each of them.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would find it very heartbreaking. I think I like having fewer amounts of birds because I can really get close to each of them.
I'm not close to any of mine since every time I do get close they end up dying on me :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.