Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out more about lineolated parakeets. I may have the chance to see some this weekend but i was hoping someone could tell me what they are like. Love them? Hate them? I'm thinking of getting bird #2 and am narrowing down my options. I know I prefer small to medium size birds because of my husband and his fear of big beaks and I do have a few possibilities in mind but I want the bird to choose me this time. I think linnies are really pretty and from what I've read online they seem sweet and most people who have them seem to love them. Is that the case?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
They're amazing, and mine aren't even hand tame! I'm sure most on here would tell you they're wonderful. They're a good, easy to handle size, not too loud at all (mine hardly make any noise) and super friendly and cute :p

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have one linnie. She is very sweet. She has never bitten, but that is not universal among linnies. Many of them do bite. She talks often, but she only says three or so phrases. She does not like me to pet her or kiss her, but she will fly to me to be on my shoulder or play in my hair. She will step up whenever I ask. She also hangs upside down from my hands and clothes.

What other species of bird do you have now?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a parrotlet now. I used to have a conure so I'm used to getting bitten and I had an African grey that I had to rehome with my cousin shortly after I got married. I'm glad I still get to see the grey. My parrotlet is not aggressive but I wouldn't say we're buddies yet. He is taking his own sweet time adjusting to us. On the bright side he has helped my husband get over his fear of birds but I think anything with a really big beak would make him nervous (not that my big tough man would ever admit that). I know each bird is different which is why I'm keeping an open mind about which type I'd like. It'll be a case of the right bird at the right time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a Linnie as well. Levi is a sweet little guy. He bit when he first came to live with me, he still bites others, but he never bites me now. He loves to sit on me, and hang out, but doesn't like to be petted. He loves kisses though...
The contact call can be loud, and rather piercing. Levi goes through a "noisy period" every spring when he gets hormonal.

If your looking for a small bird with a lot of personality, then a Linnie would be it....

Here's a video of Levi....He loves this sweater....

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq184/SharonC_album/?action=view&current=MVI_6176.mp4

Fred is struggling for attention in the background. You can hear him whispering Hi Freddie. He knows it's his turn next...

Reactions: catalinadee

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
If your husband has a fear of birds then I would say a linnie would be fantastic, they don't have very large beaks, they're fairly small and almost always gentle, as the others said they can bite, I got bitten real bad by one of my mine but it has never happened since. They do have that contact call, but I have found with my two being together they never really make any noise except for this cute mewing thing

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My parrotlet's personality is very similar to my green cheek's personality. My linnie's personality is more similar to my grey's personlity. I don't know if that helps you or not. The linnie is calmer than the parrotlet, but still likes to play. The parrotlet is very much into scritching. He demands it, and for long periods at a time. He plays and plays and plays. My linnie likes her toys, but she is much slower and takes more "rest" periods. I think a linnie could be a wonderful addition, but if you want one who likes to be petted, be sure the bird likes petting before you get it.

It is possible that your linnie might want to be with your parrotlet more than your parrotlet wants to be with your linnie. I suppose that could also go the other way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
honestly, nothing could be calmer than my parrotlet. he just sits on his perch all day contemplating life. doesn't play, doesn't move around much. he'll go to his food bowl to get a bite to eat and i've seen him on his swing twice since september. chirps every now and then. he's still afraid of hands and wants nothing to do with stepping up, not a fan of being held, but not aggressive either. he's not like the typical parrotlet. but he's healthy and he doesn't seem unhappy so i let him do his thing which is usually nothing. i love him but my goldfish is more exciting to watch than he is. i'd like a bird that's a bit more interactive. not necessarily cuddly, although i do like that too, but at least slightly interested in my existence. i know that my p'let won't like whatever i get but that's fine. they will be separated. my hope is that when i do get another bird it may help him come out of his shell a bit. i'm not in a hurry for bird #2 but i will check out the linnies and see if i like them or not. even better, see if they like me.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
They are all individuals, aren't they?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a linnie!

I have a male turquoise linnie. His name is Lyric, and boy does he have LYRICS! He says, "Hi Baby, whatcha doing?", "I'm a beautiful bird!," "Step up?," "Good boy," "I love you," and some other stuff I can't think of right now. He learned so fast, too. They are quiet little birds - no squawking, no screaming (only when I vacuum!). They like to hang upside down like bats! They are not good at flying, though, so it's a good idea to keep their wings clipped (though I generally hate doing that to a bird!). They crash, for the most part. They are climbers. Provide them with a cage wider than taller. For a single linnie, a 30 x 18 x 18 cage is perfect. Lyric loves to sit on my shoulder while I'm at my computer. They are gentle, funny, quiet little birds with soulful eyes. I highly recommend them!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have linnies. I find them great. They're such nice birds to have around, and they come in so many beautiful colours. I hope to have some babies off them, I'd gladly keep one!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have two male linnies and I love them! They are sweet, quiet, beautiful birds. Bug just started to say "hi" and it is soooooo cute in his little linnie voice. It's hard not to get one in every color.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I saw them and they are really pretty but they were all a bit freaked out at the bird expo so it was hard to see any personality. I did get the number of a local breeder and I may go and take a look at them when they are more relaxed. The bird store I like is getting some conures in a few weeks and since I've had one of those before I want to see them first.

Of course we are at this bird expo and what bird does my husband decide he likes? The toucanet. The little bird with the biggest beak. He must be getting brave in his old age.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I will love you forever if you get that toucanet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have two male linnies and I love them! They are sweet, quiet, beautiful birds. Bug just started to say "hi" and it is soooooo cute in his little linnie voice. It's hard not to get one in every color.
Sally, are you two males both tame for you? I was thinking of getting a friend for my Lyric (he's a male), but I don't want to lose him! Can you hold both your guys?

Patti

·
Registered
493 Posts
Patti, Both of my boys love me. I had Boo first but only for about a month before I got Bug. At first they were in different cages for about a month. They are now in the same cage and they both still love me. They both come running when I open the door and they both step up and love to be on my shoulder hanging out with me. Linnies are the best! I do make sure that I pay attention to both of them every single day.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Daisy, lol. If I remember correctly they were asking about $2000 for him. That is a bit over budget unfortunately. He was pretty adorable though.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
:( could have got him and sent him over to me :thumbsup: :giggle:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.