TalkParrots.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be dead set against owning a lorikeet simply because I've experienced their very squirty poop.

Luckily I found a baby lorikeet in need of some help and I took him in. Now with hindsight I realise I would have made a very big mistake if I never allowed a lorikeet to enter my life!

They are totally worth it. Squirty poops and all! :D

Lorikeets are exceptionally energetic. They want to be around you all the time. They can be cuddly, but because of their high energy level, they would rather play and wrestle with you instead. :)

Yes, they are exceptionally messy from both ends (they fling their food and squirt their poop) and can even be loud at times, but... well, I'll let the following photos speak for themselves. ;)

Beanie is going through a moult. I started out by giving him head scritches but it ended up turning into a game! :p

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kelsey have you ended up with a tongue down the ear yet. That is an experience to behold, boy it tickles. You don't realize how long their tongue is until that happens.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Kelsey have you ended up with a tongue down the ear yet. That is an experience to behold, boy it tickles. You don't realize how long their tongue is until that happens.
Haha, been there! :rofl: Nose, ears, attempts at eyes... :yesnod: and mouth, our little one was always in my mouth! We hae had 2 little (just weaned) rainbow lorikeets in at the shop and they're so precious!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah when you get a tongue kiss from a Lorikeet you really know it. I had one that just loved giving me tongue kisses and then if he got the chance a tongue straight down the ear. I swear his tongue was about 2 inches long and with those little hairs on it, it really did tickle.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes! :lol: It happens every time they have out-of-cage time! I don't know if it's all lorikeets, but mine are absolutely fascinated with ears, teeth and nostrils! Gross. :p

Beautiful, I love the lorikeet too. They are so much fun.
They really are! :D

Haha, been there! :rofl: Nose, ears, attempts at eyes... :yesnod: and mouth, our little one was always in my mouth! We hae had 2 little (just weaned) rainbow lorikeets in at the shop and they're so precious!
I think you should take those two Rainbows home! ;) They'll make your life a lot more entertaining!

Just out of curiosity, how much do Rainbow Lorikeets sell for over there?

Aww just beautiful. That's why I've never owned one...the poop. LOL!
Thank you! As long as you change the cage lining daily (or sometimes even twice daily) then it's all good. :D

Beautiful bird. I love the colours. :biggrin5:
Thanks! :D

Great pics! What a handsome, cuddly little fella :lovehearts:
Thank you! :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's all lorikeets Kelsey. At least all the ones I have owned and that is quite a few. The dogs were not immune either. Tramp often got a tongue in the ear or up the nose too. One of them Cheeky always gave him a lick on the nose when he got up near the cage. And if he was on the feed barrel with his back towards the cage his tail got pulled to get him to turn round for a nose lick. And Tramp gave him a lick back.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's all lorikeets Kelsey. At least all the ones I have owned and that is quite a few. The dogs were not immune either. Tramp often got a tongue in the ear or up the nose too. One of them Cheeky always gave him a lick on the nose when he got up near the cage. And if he was on the feed barrel with his back towards the cage his tail got pulled to get him to turn round for a nose lick. And Tramp gave him a lick back.
That's so cute! Perfect Kodac moment :biggrin5:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It's been a while, actually, we sold both of them to great homes :thumbsup: I think they ran... $800-900?

·
Registered
887 Posts
If only I could export you would get my rainbows to sell for me. If I sell to a pet shop I am lucky to get $90 for a hand raised baby. I get around $100 each selling privately depending on the mutation. Pet shops over here sell them for $180 up to $300 for hand raised babies. They may only have 2 babies at a time but they breed all year round pretty much depending on the food supply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.