Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I decided to trim the tiels wings for just one moult as much as I felt bad my sister had never hand tamed them so they would come to eat on my hand but would just fly away if I tried to get them to step up and they were too scared to sit on me anywho, dolly seems to be having trouble shes not gliding properally to the floor, siren can still fly quite high, Im sure her wings are long enough and trimmed equally but I think I vaguely remember when she was a baby and had her wings clipped she would crash land, Im a bit concerned and dont understand why she has this trouble.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Probably cause her wings were never strong even when she had her flight feathers. Did she do alot of flying when she had full wings? If not then her wings muscles are not strong enough in the first place, so when they were trimmed short she just didn't have the strength to even glide so therefore crash landed.

Even us human we do not all have equal strength, so it's same with birds. Siren is just stronger bird and a better flyer when he did have full wings. He probably did more exercise when he was fully flighted, so maybe why he is the stronger bird out of the two and able to fly quite high

My female Conure would just sits there all day if I allowed her to, so her wings muscles are not going to be as strong as my 2 male Conures . I do encouraged her to fly, to me flying is very good excercise, healthy for the birds.

You could try to train her to glide a short distance by enticing her with her favorite treat and build up the wings muscles, see if that makes any different to her flight ability.

See what other experts has got to say, I'm only a begginer:p

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good point she was a pretty good flyer but it took years for her to learn I feel a bit guilty about clipping there wings but I just want to get her very tame and then let them grow out since my sister never touched them the whole 4 years. And your right she didnt fly that much just to get from one playstand to another not like the other birds. i kinda wish I never did it but two or three more months and shell have her wings back

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Nah, don't feel guilty, you're not hurting them. I can understand why people trim birds wings and I don't see any problem with it :biggrin5:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Some of my birds can glide and even fly pretty well with several flights trimmed, and some can glide only if they have only three feathers on each side trimmed. I think a lot depends on the body type of the bird.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Joey doesn't fly at all now. I clipped his wings when I first had him to try and get him used to me etc etc and I have left them to grow out since, they're coming through but very slowly. But Joey is like velcro and never leaves me so I've started going outside with him and stuff and he's very happy to just sit there. He doesn't realise he has the potential to fly. When he attempts to fly he fails miserably so I don't have to worry about him at all. Tobi on the other hand was also clipped, he has only a few flight feathers and he can fly great. Pain in the butt! As nanay said, it all depends on the bird

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys your right I just feel bad cause I feel like shes a bit depressed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.